Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Off topic, dropping out of workforce to finish master's degree

gorillahung

I'm at a point in my life where I now have a woman to support me and I received a state grant to finish a master's degree in environmental science which I started 9 years ago but had to quit due to finances. Now I don't have to worry about finances and have someone to support me for a couple years then I'll go back to work and support her while she goes back for her bachelors degree. I'm going to take the maximum hours allowed for grad students to get this finished quickly. I'll have to do a thesis or project on top of course work. I know I'm old for college but in grad school, most students are over 30. I'll be leaving behind my oil refinery position but I'm OK with that as even though the pay is fair, it's not what I like doing. All I do now is calculate asbestos related risks for the plant workers and tell them where they need to clean up friable asbestos. It's an OK job but there's no real way to advance within the company. Anyway, next fall I plan on resigning and completing my master's degree.

I would talk about your situation with your employer. They will be the most understanding that way and will still give you a good reference.

You never know. If they deem you as a valuable employee they might work around your school schedule and try to find a part time position for you so you can continue to work for them while in school.

Congrats man. Nothing wrong with a bit of a reset. In the end it is much better to enjoy life doing something you want to do vs just riding it out because you make decent money.

Top Bottom