Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Narcissism

Assertive Guy

Just a begginer...
Platinum
I recall more than just a few claim Arnold, and some other bodybuilders to be Narcissists. What I'm wondering is, for such individuals is there a cure? Are there medications for this? What is the long-term prognossis?

Anyone?

Assertive Guy

Narcissism can not only be detrimental to one's health, but also a symptom of psychological problems that have decided to express themselves through a greater focus on self. ~Meredith Black.

Assertive Guy said:
I recall more than just a few claim Arnold, and some other bodybuilders to be Narcissists. What I'm wondering is, for such individuals is there a cure? Are there medications for this? What is the long-term prognossis?

Anyone?

Assertive Guy

What is Narcissism?

A pattern of traits and behaviours which signify infatuation and obsession with one's self to the exclusion of all others and the egotistic and ruthless pursuit of one's gratification, dominance and ambition.

? Most narcissists (50-75%, according to the DSM-IV-TR) are men.

? The Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) is one of a "family" of personality disorders (known as "Cluster B"). Other members of Cluster B are Borderline PD, Antisocial PD and Histrionic PD.

? NPD is often diagnosed with other mental health disorders ("co-morbidity") - or with substance abuse and impulsive and reckless behaviours ("dual diagnosis").

? NPD is new (1980) mental health category in the Diagnostic and Statistics Manual (DSM).

? There is only scant research regarding narcissism. But what there is has not demonstrated any ethnic, social, cultural, economic, genetic, or professional predilection to NPD.

? It is estimated that 0.7-1% of the general population suffer from NPD.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder DSM IV Criteria

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

(4) requires excessive admiration

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Treatment and prognosis

Though there is controversy in the profession, some psychologists view narcissism as a relatively stable condition that tends to remain relatively unchanged over one’s lifetime. James F. Masterson's A Therapist's Guide to the Personality Disorders: The Masterson Approach outlines a prominent approach to healing Narcissistic Personality Disorders.

It is unusual for people suffering from narcissism to seek treatment for their condition. The individual with narcissistic personality disorder has fears of inadequacy and consequently has great difficulty perceiving that there is any reason to seek treatment. [9].

Persons with NPD often fear a repetition of a critical and rejecting response, rather than a flattering mirroring, if they open up to a therapist. Essentially, they imagine that the therapist would relate to them as their parents did. They are very likely to be disdainful and disparaging towards in response to the notion of psychotherapy. [10]

Top Bottom