Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

muscle group for posture

overrx

What muscle group should be exercised to develop better posture. When I am naturally sitting my shoulders slump foward slightly (as is common with most people) Is there any muscle group that you can concetrate on that will fix this? Fucking backpacks were the worst invention :-/

Back (working chest creates this problem with over development of anterior delts).

Lots of rowing, Pull ups, and Deadlifts (any pulling from the floor) will improve this and overall posture.

I've been fighting this for a a while and have made some pretty good improvements; just by consiously putting my shoulders back and standing up straight. If you keep correcting it, eventually your posture will get better and better.

My favorite exercise for posture believe it or not is squats, as I find it forces me keep my shoulders back in the proper position to be able to lift any amount of weight.

I read somewhere that there are three main types of posture:
-Standing
-Sitting
-Sleeping (kinda clueless about this)

So maybe find a posture in the mirror that you think looks good for standing and sitting, and then try to emulate it all the time.

Good luck

yes, you have to make a concious effort to keep correcting it.
just like when models re learn how to walk. you have to keep doing it till it becomes second nature. muscle memory.

I have done a little research on this because I also suffer from shitty posture. I've in more than one place that it is also important to do stretches to improve posture.

You can stretch your inner chest so that your shoulders are more likely not to slump... one good stretch is standing in a doorway and positioning your arms like they are in a pec-dec machine. Deep stretching this way has helped me SOME.

They also recommend lying on your bed and letting your head hang over the edge. Not too too long, cause the blood will rush to your head, but it stretches your neck back so you don't start hunching (as you may if your shoulders slouch).

Also you can do some stretching excercises on the swiss-ball that stretch your back and let your shoulders stretch as well.

Muscle groupes to build... Upper middle back, and lower abdominals.

You may want to get a seesion with a registered physiotherapist who specializes in backs - a good one will be able to educate you on this and suggest the right exercises.

I know that seated rowing and ab crunchs both have really helped my posture.

good luck bro

Rhomboids, lower traps, and rear delts will help your upper torso. Abs, spinal erectors and glutes for the lower torso.

working the rhoms, and erectors is great. keep in mind that abs are just as important. lots of stretching the pecs. make sure during rows and back work that your posture is awesome. the main problem people run into is at the end of the day the muscles are tired. try doing at least one out of three workouts as an endurance training session for your rhoms and erectors. do lighter weight and higher sets and reps ( 15-18 reps no more, and 6 sets max per one exercise) do it at the end of your training as it will not leave much for energy after.

Keep stretching the chest, so the muscles don't shorten and pull you into a slump.

The best exercise I know for posture is narrow-grip upright rows. This works the traps in such a way that they'll help keep your shoulders from slumping throughout the day.

Top Bottom