Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Milos Sarcev on "genetics in bodybuilding"

Outtlaw

Ok, it's not exactly an interview, but here is a different viewpoint on the genetics question. Everyone always says genetics are 90% of this game. But this guy (and apparently Milos) say that "ANYONE can become a pro bodybuilder." I dont know what to think of this article honestly, but it is interesting and should promote some good discussion.

http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/jan312003/lp_jan312003.htm

Whether it's true or not, the article does at least make some valid points.

I’d be comfortable saying that very few people on the face of the earth ever come within 5% of their full genetic potential.

When he says genetic potential he doesn't mean natural genetic potential, which for alot of smaller men is under 200 lbs. He means staying on growth, slin, megadose-AS for years and years to pack as much muscle on as possible.

I agree that anyone could look awesome with proper diet/nutrition/training/AS/slin/growth , however they could not hit PRO status.

steelmass said:
When he says genetic potential he doesn't mean natural genetic potential, which for alot of smaller men is under 200 lbs. He means staying on growth, slin, megadose-AS for years and years to pack as much muscle on as possible.

I agree that anyone could look awesome with proper diet/nutrition/training/AS/slin/growth , however they could not hit PRO status.
"Pro status" is subjective. You have to win contest to become a pro. There are people that could (and even should) be pros that are not, because they havent won a particular contest.

I think what the article is trying to say is that anyone can get a physique somewhat close to that of a pro. I cant say I agree with this idea though; because there are people who do it all right, and still cant get close to that.

steelmass said:
When he says genetic potential he doesn't mean natural genetic potential, which for alot of smaller men is under 200 lbs.
What's that you say??? Under 200lbs genetic potential??? Hmm, I wonder where all the people are that say you shouldnt juice until you hit your genetic limit... which is no less than 200lbs (because nearly everyone can get to 200lbs naturally :chomp: ).

i think milos has a point in saying you can be a pro if you do everything in your power...regardless of having great genetics. I dont think you can have poor genetics and become a pro..but average genetics is a totally different ballpark. My genetics are slightly below average but ive busted my ass since i was 18..now 24..i did my first contest at 23, took 5th novice. Last week i did my 2nd show at 24, took the overall in an untesed show...
it all depends on your dedication and motivational level..knowledge...having the right outlets to get what you need (sleep, supps, good gym, advice from advanced guys, cycling your training so you dont burnout, and good nutrition, genetics to an extent i will throw in).

watch the dvd "jay cutler, a cut above"..he presents some great advice in there on packing on size...
you can never stop learning in this sport...or being close minded...always keep learning, and youll make better gains and physique improvements as you get older (i.e-ronnie coleman, jay cutler)...gains shouldnt necessarily slow down unless you're already at at advanced stage in my opinion (i.e 270lbs shredded at 5'10)...even a guy thats say 35, 5'9 and 240 shredded can still make awsome physique changes if he kept going and was never satisfied...all depends on your goals...and yes, health is important too...you cant get to that size if you take orals 4 weeks a month, months on end...youll eventually run into problems at a younger age (not saying in all people, but some..yes)
just my .02

P.S.: Dareem charles and his son and wife workout at my gym, all of whom im very friendly with, im half trinidadian myself so i relate with em. Dareem keeps his bodyfat low all the time and it only fluctuates a little, he makes muscle gains slowly, but surely...that right there will keep you in the game a long time for many years and help your health in so many ways...ive learned alot of things from this guy. He's inspiring to watch walk around the gym with that amazing v-taper and peaked biceps, shawn kemp and alot of national level guys go to my gym in south fla also...gotta love watching these monsters do their thang, really does make ya humble and realize how far you still have to go :rainbow:

If you have good genetics, you're one step ahead. Of course, someone with avreage genetics, lots of AAS, food, training, diet could turn into something interesting but it would take a lot more efforts.

bigtasty25 said:
i think milos has a point in saying you can be a pro if you do everything in your power...regardless of having great genetics. I dont think you can have poor genetics and become a pro..but average genetics is a totally different ballpark. My genetics are slightly below average but ive busted my ass since i was 18..now 24..i did my first contest at 23, took 5th novice. Last week i did my 2nd show at 24, took the overall in an untesed show...
it all depends on your dedication and motivational level..knowledge...having the right outlets to get what you need (sleep, supps, good gym, advice from advanced guys, cycling your training so you dont burnout, and good nutrition, genetics to an extent i will throw in).
Just to play devils advocate.... there are people who will say that the reason you succeeded was because of your genetics. Even though you didnt think it, you had the genetics to begin with or else you wouldnt have even got there in the 1st place... no matter how hard you tried.

It's like a no win situation. People who say it's all about genetics cant lose their argument ;) .

lol nono..this sport is all about symmetry...size, conditoning...posing..all of which can be worked on. Genetics people say determines how their bodyparts respond to training...so their can be imbalances...but even so...its working on making all the muscle groups proportional to each other that can augment even the most average of genetics (genetics in terms of muscle groups relative to one another).
Trust me...even after 7 years of dedicated training...i placed 5th in the novice at my first show weighing 5'9 150lbs...i dont see how thats good genetics...14.5" arms..;-p

bigtasty25 said:
lol nono..this sport is all about symmetry...size, conditoning...posing..all of which can be worked on. Genetics people say determines how their bodyparts respond to training...so their can be imbalances...but even so...its working on making all the muscle groups proportional to each other that can augment even the most average of genetics (genetics in terms of muscle groups relative to one another).
Trust me...even after 7 years of dedicated training...i placed 5th in the novice at my first show weighing 5'9 150lbs...i dont see how thats good genetics...14.5" arms..;-p
I wasnt really commenting on you personally with my statement, I was more just making a point.

But they say genetics also determine how much muscle you can carry as well as how much muscle your body will allow you to build. So if your genetics say 15'' arms are the max you can obtain, then try as you may... that's it for you. Unless you find a way to re-write the gene code.

Honestly, I dont believe that genetics are 100% the answer for everything. It's sort of like fate in our lives. I like to believe that I have some sort of controll over my life and my body. Not that somebody up above wrote a script for me that I cannot deviate from. If I can only physically reach my prescripted genetic limit... then whats the point in training to try and break that limit if it can never happen??

Top Bottom