Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Loosing my dad to alcoholism.... help me motivate him to get in shape

tempest2003

hey all my dad is 60 now, hes been out of shape for 20 year, prob weighs 260 or so hes 6' and has tried to loose weight before. i think hes finally given up and feeling age set in hes resorted to drinking his days away. Does anyone have any suggestions/routines that are guarenteed to provide results? his diet is bad bad bad too, lots of saturated fats, and more sugars than I eat. He would not be willing to even think about anything illegeal as far as loosing weight but i dont want to loose my dad completley, hes nothing like he used to be anymore. lease guys any suggestions appreciated, will hit ya with karma. thanks again
-temp

Hey man, first off, does your dad want it? It has to come from within him. If he wants it, best to start slow with some walking. Don't do anything too drastic. He should probably get checked out by a doc for blood pressure and such for a starting point. You don't want him to go and get himself hurt overdoing it right off the bat.

bro, your dad has to want to do it for himself. i feel for you. it's tough watching a loved one waste away. you need to tell him to do for himself and the people who love him. alcohol is a terrible drug, the silent killer. i have no relevant advice other than trying to make your dad realize what your and others who love him lives would be like with out him. maybe, just maybe, he'll listen and try and make a change. goodluck bro.

Probably even harder than motivating him is going to be getting him to the dr for that first check up... Let alone what the alcohol would do to him, it would be important to know what kind of shape he is in as far as cholesterol, BP, and test levels.

Honestly... I know you said nothing illegal, BUT.... I personally feel that if you got him on some sort of HRT, perhaps done yourself vs through the DR... his state of mind would improve 1000%... I mean if that is even an option of course... there are some good TD tests out there that would help in his situation and the overall sense of well being he would gain from the test would help him in a lot of aspects...

But like others said... alcohol is just as bad as any other drug... and at his age he may just not see anything else. A good heart to heart could be helpful, take him out to dinner, somewhere they dont serve acohol so he doesnt drink and you dont make a scene, and have a good conversation with him.

Is his wife still in the picture? If not is that causing part of the issue? Most alcoholics are at least somewhat abusive so it may be best there is no female in the picture, at the very least it may keep him out of that abusive, self defeating cycle.

hope that is at least somewhat useful.

Im gonna be honest... I had an abuse problem a number of years ago and the only thing that fixed it was myself when I realized everyone had given up around me. Nothing you can do but get him maybe into rehab but I think thats a total waste of time.

I think when one has an issue no matter what age that they need somone who will never leave them or walk away

no matter how bad it gets..........

Does he know how you feel? Be sure that he's aware that you care about his declining health, and that you want to help any way you can. Sounds like this didn't happen overnight, and it isn't going to be resolved quickley either. Hang in there, as this can be as hard on you as it is for him. Being only 60, your dad could have many more great years ahead. Get him to a doc for a health and psychological evaluation. All the best.

OMEGA said:
I think when one has an issue no matter what age that they need somone who will never leave them or walk away

no matter how bad it gets..........
maybe some do but thats what saved me

My dad Od'd on Heroin last march. He was only 46 Years old. Definately something I think about to muster up a little anger before a heavy squat. Its a choice your pops will have to make.

Top Bottom