Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lessons in Neurotransmitters - please add...

velvett

Elite Mentor
Platinum
Neurotransmitters are the chemicals that allow communication to occur in the brain. Different neurotransmitters allow and/or produce different functions. We can link various thinking, feeling and behavioral actions and states to various transmitters.

Dopamine
Norepinephrine
Serotonin
GABA
Enkephalin

Dopamine
Dopamine Functions in:
Feelings of pleasure
Feelings of attachment/love
Sense of altruism (unselfish concern for the welfare of others)
Integration of thoughts and feelings

Dopamine Deficiencies result in:
Anhedonia (lack of pleasure)
Lack of ability to feel love, sense attachment to another
Lack of remorse about actions
Distractibility

Norepinephrine
Norepinephrine Functions in:
Arousal, energy, drive
Stimulation
Fight or Flight

Norepinephrine Deficiencies result in:
Lack of energy
Lack of motivation
Depression

Serotonin
Serotonin Functions in:
Emotional stability
Reduces aggression
Sensory input
Sleep cycle
Appetite control

Serotonin Deficiencies result in:
Irritability
Irrational emotions
Sudden unexplained tears
OCD
Sleep disturbances

GABA
GABA Functions in:
Control of anxiety
Helps control arousal
Controls convulsions
Keeps brain activity balanced

GABA Deficiencies result in:
Free-floating anxiety
Racing thoughts
Rapid heart
Inability to fall asleep
Constant fight or flight
Panic

Enkephalin
Enkephalin Functions in:
Internal calm
Sense of well being
Feelings of euphoria
Self-concept
Pain management

Enkephalin Deficiencies result in:
Internal turmoil
Lack of complete feeling
Sense of inadequacy
Poor pain control

nycgirl said:
What causes the deficiencies?

Not sure yet - some of it is nutritional/vitamin/mineral.

I stumbled onto researching it b/c of migraines - migraines are often present when serotonin levels are low. So I though huh, lets look into this.

Thought I'd add as I learned and if anyone had something to add they could too.

Looks like this might be better in science though... :worried:

Excellent... this is what I'm researching right now. I'll add more as I have time. Any info on a supposed non-benzo CIV drug called "Neurontin"? I'm looking for benzodiazapam-like sedation of nerves (a specific nerve damaged by a tumor) and clonazepam is waaaaaaay to powerful and effects the entire organism when all I want is, basically, a site-injection kinda thing. In my brain. Kinda a problem, but we're in the process of figuring out what to do, lol.

Good post.

:cow:

samoth said:
Excellent... this is what I'm researching right now. I'll add more as I have time. Any info on a supposed non-benzo CIV drug called "Neurontin"? I'm looking for benzodiazapam-like sedation of nerves (a specific nerve damaged by a tumor) and clonazepam is waaaaaaay to powerful and effects the entire organism when all I want is, basically, a site-injection kinda thing. In my brain. Kinda a problem, but we're in the process of figuring out what to do, lol.

Good post.

I copied the Physicians Desk Reference Info for Neurontin and published it to a website... The file was too big to upload here...

Here's the link: (I hope this works, you'll probably need to use Internet Explorer to see the pictures and diagrams)

http://home.comcast.net/wsb-cgi-bin...&GroupID=1088238&Owner=amj1976&SiteID=2734525

It doesn't mention anything about "site injection", though it does cover everything approved on the market so far....

I found 27 medical journal articles discussing this drug in just one database search. There are 25-30 more databases I could search.

Let me know if you need more info...

:)

Last edited:
samoth said:

Good post.

I'm definitely interested. Is there a way to deal with the deficiencies without using drugs?

beefcake28 said:
I copied the Physicians Desk Reference Info for Neurontin and published it to a website... The file was too big to upload here...

Here's the link: (I hope this works, you'll probably need to use Internet Explorer to see the pictures and diagrams)

http://home.comcast.net/wsb-cgi-bin...&GroupID=1088238&Owner=amj1976&SiteID=2734525

It doesn't mention anything about "site injection", though it does cover everything approved on the market so far....

I found 27 medical journal articles discussing this drug in just one database search. There are 25-30 more databases I could search.

Let me know if you need more info...

:)

I have the PDR and similarsuch. I need to buy the DSM-IV, but it's $70 I don't have, lol.

The site injections into the brain was kind of a joke, emphasizing that I do not like the narcotic effects the nerve-calming drugs produce on my entire body. I only have a problem with nerve damage in one specific area in a nerve where the tumor ruptured/ate through the mastoid. In order to calm that nerve, I'm taking a strong benzo (Clonazepam, generic clonapin) that has negative effects throughout the organism. I will be trying this new "Neurontin" as of Thursday, a non-benzodiazepam nerve agent that will hopefully work as well as the clonapin.

If you have a source for the full DSM-IV online, I would be very interested in that. The clonapin, while a tranquilizer, seems to exhibit different characteristics in me that would fall more under the manic-depresive area of pharmopsychology, moreso the manic part (which I have never in my life had any issue with whatsoever). So I'm looking for a non-narcotic drug that might help with that, as the typical stimulant ADHD medications have seemingly been neutralized by the clonapin -- over 60mg amphetamine does, literally, nothing. Oddly enough, 50mg ephedringe hydrochloride seems to have more of a stimulatory effect, althogh not negating the issused caused by the clonapin (which I'm on, per three different surgeons' recommendations, until further notice, at 2-5mg BID-TID). The Mayo Clinic stated that brain surgery to repair or even sever the nerve would not be an option in this case (I saw an ENT, not a neurologist), as there would be no way whatsoever to predict the outcome, and further complications caused by other damage would create a greater risk.

Last edited:
nycgirl said:
I'm definitely interested. Is there a way to deal with the deficiencies without using drugs?

There is significant research showing Omege-3 fatty acids having an effect in this area. I have not yet had a chance to look into it, but I figured I would throw this out in case you wanted to do a quick check or something.

This was coming from a doctor specializing in internal medicine, and I was quite surprised that she spoke so highly of Omega-3's. Definitely on my "To Do" list.

samoth said:
I have the PDR and similarsuch. I need to buy the DSM-IV, but it's $70 I don't have, lol.

The site injections into the brain was kind of a joke, emphasizing that I do not like the narcotic effects the nerve-calming drugs produce on my entire body. I only have a problem with nerve damage in one specific area in a nerve where the tumor ruptured/ate through the mastoid. In order to calm that nerve, I'm taking a strong benzo (Clonazepam, generic clonapin) that has negative effects throughout the organism. I will be trying this new "Neurontin" as of Thursday, a non-benzodiazepam nerve agent that will hopefully work as well as the clonapin.

If you have a source for the full DSM-IV online, I would be very interested in that. The clonapin, while a tranquilizer, seems to exhibit different characteristics in me that would fall more under the manic-depresive area of pharmopsychology, moreso the manic part (which I have never in my life had any issue with whatsoever). So I'm looking for a non-narcotic drug that might help with that, as the typical stimulant ADHD medications have seemingly been neutralized by the clonapin -- over 60mg amphetamine does, literally, nothing. Oddly enough, 50mg ephedringe hydrochloride seems to have more of a stimulatory effect, althogh not negating the issused caused by the clonapin (which I'm on, per three different surgeons' recommendations, until further notice, at 2-5mg BID-TID). The Mayo Clinic stated that brain surgery to repair or even sever the nerve would not be an option in this case (I saw an ENT, not a neurologist), as there would be no way whatsoever to predict the outcome, and further complications caused by other damage would create a greater risk.

I have unrestricted access to the DSM-IV Database online... Let me know what you need, I'll find what I can.

Here is some info from the DSM-IV Database for Neurontin:

Anticonvulsants

The analgesic effects of anticonvulsants for neuropathic pain have long been known. The older anticonvulsants—phenytoin, carbamazepine, and sodium valproate—were reported to provide pain relief (McQuay et al. 1995). Of the newer anticonvulsants, gabapentin (Neurontin) has been the one most studied as an analgesic (Backonja 2000) and has the advantage of a more benign side effect profile than the older ones. Although gabapentin appears be efficacious for neuropathic pain, there is no evidence that it is better than or even as good as the TCAs for this problem. Gabapentin may exert its analgesic effects through calcium or sodium channel blockade or through enhancement of -aminobutyric acid (GABA) levels in the brain produced by increasing GABA synthesis and release (Ross 2000). The usual starting dose is 100 mg three times a day with eventual increase up to 3,600 mg/day. Other newer anticonvulsants—most notably topiramate (Topamax), oxcarbazepine (Trileptal), and lamotrigine (Lamictal)—also appear to provide analgesia for neuropathic pain. With regard to other specific pain syndromes, carbamazepine continues to be considered the most effective medication in the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia, and sodium valproate is beneficial in prophylactic treatment of migraine headaches.

Benzodiazepines

The use of benzodiazepines for patients with chronic pain is controversial. Benzodiazepines appear to provide little benefit for patients with chronic pain or cancer-related pain, and it is generally recommended that benzodiazepines be avoided when these conditions are present. Because of their GABAergic effects, benzodiazepines may actually exacerbate pain rather than reduce it (Dellemijn and Fields 1994), and they can interfere with the analgesic effects of opioids (Gear et al. 1997). Despite this, King and Strain (1990) found that benzodiazepines are often employed in the management of chronic pain. They also observed that patients' most frequently cited reason for taking these medications was that they improve sleep. Because of the additional analgesic effects provided by the TCAs, it is recommended that they be used to treat the insomnia that may accompany pain. When pain is accompanied by anxiety, the use of a benzodiazepine alternative, such as one of the antidepressants or buspirone, should be considered.

Selected Other Medications Used as Analgesics

Because so many different medications have been employed for pain, it is impossible to provide a comprehensive list here. The following selected medications are included because of their special interest to psychiatrists.

In addition to the antidepressants, other psychotropic medications also appear to have analgesic effects. Several of the neuroleptics, including haloperidol and chlorpromazine, have been reported to provide analgesia, most notably for neuropathic pain. However, methotrimeprazine, a phenothiazine, is the only neuroleptic that has been found in controlled studies to have analgesic effects (Monks 1990).

Lithium has been shown to be beneficial in cases of acute and cluster headaches. Therapeutic dosage is usually similar to that required when this medication is used to treat bipolar disorder.

The triptans are a new class of compounds that act on various 5-HT receptors. These agents, which include sumatriptan (Imitrex), zolmitriptan (Zomig), rizatriptan (Maxalt), and naratriptan (Amerge), are used for abortive treatment of migraine headaches.

samoth said:
There is significant research showing Omege-3 fatty acids having an effect in this area. I have not yet had a chance to look into it, but I figured I would throw this out in case you wanted to do a quick check or something.

This was coming from a doctor specializing in internal medicine, and I was quite surprised that she spoke so highly of Omega-3's. Definitely on my "To Do" list.

A good place to start:

n-3 FA impact neurotransmitter (especially dopamine) systems of the brain:

Proc Nutr Soc. 2002 Feb;61(1):61-9.
Dietary essential fatty acids and brain function: a developmental perspective on mechanisms.
Wainwright PE.

DHA (n-3 FA) plays a role in dopamine and serotonin metabolism:

Dev Neurosci. 2000 Sep-Dec;22(5-6):474-80.
The role of dietary n-6 and n-3 fatty acids in the developing brain.
Innis SM.

PGE1 (made from EFAs) is impaired in shizophrenia:

Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 1992 May;46(1):71-7.
The relationship between schizophrenia and essential fatty acid and eicosanoid metabolism.
Horrobin DF.

n-3 EFA beneficial for ADHD and shizophrenia, and likely depression in adults:

Chin Med J (Engl). 2003 Mar;116(3):453-8.
Omega-3 fatty acids and non-communicable diseases.
Li D.

etc.

Top Bottom