Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lack Of Sleep

EDPlvr

Hey. I am an EMT for the FDNY. I've been lifting for over 2 yrs now and I'm happy w/ the gains I've made. I started this job a few months ago, it's good, but, the problem is I keep getting mandated to work overtime shifts(2-3 overnight shifts a week). Iguess my question is, how do I maintain the size and strength I've gained when I'm only sleeping 4-5 hrs a night.TIA

I guess the nights that you don't work overnight shifts try to sleep as much as possible. Or for that matter, whenever you can get sleep...get it. If you have a day off or two days off in a row, get at least 10 hours of sleep to make up for it. That would be my guess, for your situation is a tough one bro. At least you understand how important sleep is. A lot of guys on here will tell you that they only get 5-6 hours of sleep a night and seem to keep most of their gains. Also, you might want to post this on the AAS board b/c there is a lot more traffic there and you'll get a lot more responses there too. Good Luck and keep lifting!

Once you put some time in you probably wont get stuck with the shitty shifts. Keep up bro and make sure your eating lots and itll all work out for you

I know exactly where you are coming from. I'm a firefighter/paramedic, and lack of sleep can sap every last bit of energy from a guy. It's a tough battle, but you have to adapt.

Things that have worked for me:
1) Naps. Sounds silly, but even 3 hours can make you feel 100% better.
2) Diet. A person with a normal sleep pattern can handle the caffiene, booze, simple carbs, etc etc. I sure as hell know I can't. I've been in this line of work 10 years, and my tolerance for those 3 items has dramatically decreased. I still indulge once in a while, but they screw up my already-screwed sleep pattern big time.

3) Supplements, specifically vitamin B. I'm not sure why, but if I'm super-bagged, a multi-B, vit C and Vit E seems to be a pick-me-up. I can think clearer, and don't seem as "foggy".

Trying to get enough sleep as an emergency shiftworker is hard enough; trying to make and keep gains is a 24/7 task. It can be done; a guy I work with is a competative bodybuilder, with a family, and he does quite well. One of his habits is hitting the gym right after a nightshift; then he'll head home to catch some sleep after. Although I'm not a morning workout type of guy, I can see why he does this. I usually don't crash until a few hours after I get home from a nightshift.

Lack of sleep, besides making us feel like shit, starts all sorts of chemical reactions in the body, including increased release of cortisol, something you DO NOT want extra of when trying to pack on size. Going out of your way to try and get the proper amount of sleep can be tough, but it doable.

Good luck Bro!

I know exactly where you are coming from. I'm a firefighter/paramedic, and lack of sleep can sap every last bit of energy from a guy. It's a tough battle, but you have to adapt.

Things that have worked for me:
1) Naps. Sounds silly, but even 3 hours can make you feel 100% better.
2) Diet. A person with a normal sleep pattern can handle the caffiene, booze, simple carbs, etc etc. I sure as hell know I can't. I've been in this line of work 10 years, and my tolerance for those 3 items has dramatically decreased. I still indulge once in a while, but they screw up my already-screwed sleep pattern big time.

3) Supplements, specifically vitamin B. I'm not sure why, but if I'm super-bagged, a multi-B, vit C and Vit E seems to be a pick-me-up. I can think clearer, and don't seem as "foggy".

Trying to get enough sleep as an emergency shiftworker is hard enough; trying to make and keep gains is a 24/7 task. It can be done; a guy I work with is a competative bodybuilder, with a family, and he does quite well. One of his habits is hitting the gym right after a nightshift; then he'll head home to catch some sleep after. Although I'm not a morning workout type of guy, I can see why he does this. I usually don't crash until a few hours after I get home from a nightshift.

Lack of sleep, besides making us feel like shit, starts all sorts of chemical reactions in the body, including increased release of cortisol, something you DO NOT want extra of when trying to pack on size. Going out of your way to try and get the proper amount of sleep can be tough, but it's doable.

Good luck Bro!

Top Bottom