Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Labrum Tear anyone?

Mike145

I tore the posterior labrum in my right shoulder about a year and a half ago. Fortunately the MRI said it was not a SLAP (whaterver that means). The first opinion I got reccomended surgery, the second opinion wanted to try extensive physical therapy first that would hopefully prove surgery unneccessary. I have been doing the therapy for about two months now and there has been some improvement in range of motion, strength, and pain. However, my progress has not been what I anticipated since I am still not able to perform any upper body exercises that use the shoulder. I think surgery is inevitable which really sucks because post-op recovery takes almost a year. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of injury that could advise me? Thanks.

Mike, I just had surgery for a torn labrum 2 weeks ago today. Had a well known orthopedist work on mine. He also cleaned up a couple of bone spurs and just a touch of bursitis. They used arthroscopy and used a kevlar band mounted to an anchor in the bone to replace the torn part. My doc told me 6 weeks before I could begin with any type of heavier weight to allow time for the bone to grow over the anchor. After that, he told me it would be better than new. Yours may be worse than mine but he never even recommended therapy and said surgery would be my only recourse to fix it. I already have about 80% of my flexibility back and am going to physical therapy now which makes it very sore for the couple of days after. I knew I would never be able to put up the big weight without getting it fixed so if you have a great doc, I would say go for it. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

eaglesnest said:
Mike, I just had surgery for a torn labrum 2 weeks ago today. Had a well known orthopedist work on mine. He also cleaned up a couple of bone spurs and just a touch of bursitis. They used arthroscopy and used a kevlar band mounted to an anchor in the bone to replace the torn part. My doc told me 6 weeks before I could begin with any type of heavier weight to allow time for the bone to grow over the anchor. After that, he told me it would be better than new. Yours may be worse than mine but he never even recommended therapy and said surgery would be my only recourse to fix it. I already have about 80% of my flexibility back and am going to physical therapy now which makes it very sore for the couple of days after. I knew I would never be able to put up the big weight without getting it fixed so if you have a great doc, I would say go for it. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

Your expereince has made me more optimistic about the prosepect of surgery and its post-op time. The surgeon I saw did not seem to think that my tear was that bad and even compared it to the shoulder injuries sustained by Ken Griffey Jr and Derik Jeter. To this last part I reminded the doctor that these guys were getting the best treatment possible, 24/7, on the best steroids and GH money could buy. REcovery for these guys was a job where as I would be lucky if I could do physical therapy a few times a week.

Mike145 said:
I tore the posterior labrum in my right shoulder about a year and a half ago. Fortunately the MRI said it was not a SLAP (whaterver that means). The first opinion I got reccomended surgery, the second opinion wanted to try extensive physical therapy first that would hopefully prove surgery unneccessary. I have been doing the therapy for about two months now and there has been some improvement in range of motion, strength, and pain. However, my progress has not been what I anticipated since I am still not able to perform any upper body exercises that use the shoulder. I think surgery is inevitable which really sucks because post-op recovery takes almost a year. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of injury that could advise me? Thanks.

get a third opinion.

I've seen many people go through shoulder surgery's and they've all recovered fine. I would definitely get another opinion though.

torn labrum- 6 weeks post op PT. Im in school and have been doing PT for 4 weeks now (even though i intend to do surgery in may). It makes it less painful but i know i need the surery if i want to lift abov emy head or play sports again.

Mike145- where is your doctor? kevlar? slap (got me)???

Yeah the PT never works for shit without getting the surgery done. Im in the same boat but for another injury. Im holding off for a few months though because I can still do about 80% of my upper body work. My downtime after surgery will be 4-6 months. Wont be fun.

eaglesnest said:

Had mine done almost 3 years ago. Was able to get back into weights 3 weeks after surgery. And started lifting heavy again about 8 weeks. You will be fine, do the surgery, do exactly what they say and you will be great.

k6jatu37 said:
downtime=months= for what activuty?

For me anything upper body. :(

Im thinking of running Var and IGF-1 during recovery - Ive heard that may cut time almost in half.

Top Bottom