Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

L-Tyrosine and panic attacks?

Ceebs

Can supplementing with L-Tyrosine induce panic attacks? I've been taking it for the last 10 days to help cut, 4 grams total daily in 2 2-gram doses, and was up most of last night trying to fight off an anxiety attack. The only other time in my life that I've had panic attacks was a few years ago when I was taking a similar Tyrosine dosage. Back then I chalked it up to a combination of extreme stress and too much epinephrine/dopamine, but now I'm not even remotely stressed. Everything's puppies and rainbows.

Anyway, the panic attacks went away the last time after I stopped taking Tyrosine, and I'm obviously not going to take it anymore, my question is more a general "is this a common occurance with Tyrosine" type query. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Without a doubt excess tyrosine can induce panic/anxiety in susceptible individuals. I would suggest this is your body's way of telling you that it doesn't need any extra!

Thanks MS, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. It was a pain in the ass taking those horse pills anyway...

Tyrosine is the precusor of dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine.

Sounds like catecholamine excess.

W6

Yes, it's an interesting side effect. Technically the tyrosine hydroxylase enzyme is the rate limiting step in catecholamine synthesis, so supplementing tyrosine would not normally cause this side UNLESS you were actually deficient in tyrosine (this does happen a lot under conditions of stress and dieting). I would guess that people like ceebs might have either chronically low tyrosine levels, or abnormally high hydroxylase levels. In the first case, she would be unaccustomed to "normal" catecholamine levels which the supp would induce. If this is the case, then I would expect the symptoms to reside after a few weeks of supplementation as her body adjusts to the normal level. In the case of excess hydroxylase activity, she may just be prone to this side effect whenever tyrosine levels get higher than normal, and should avoid supplementaion altoghether.

Ceebs, have you ever tried yohimbine and had a similar reaction???

Wow, this post got buried - I would have replied sooner, but it was pretty far down the board.

MS, I suspect that I'm deficient in Tyrosine, because I've been dieting for exactly four months now. (I went overboard on a bulking cycle earlier this year... never again.) My catecholamine levels were probably rock bottom, then all of a sudden when I introduced the Tyrosine, BOOM! :jump:

I always wanted to use that emoticon. :)

I get mildly anxious on yohimbine, but it's more a feeling of not being able to sit still, wanting to do something with the energy, rather than the paranoia and panic that I experience on Tyrosine. Does that make sense?

Thanks again for the quality replies.

lol, yohimbe makes my pupils dialate too much and I'm up all night ...so i'm gonna try l-tyrosine added to my eca stack..only 1 gram in morning to start.

Ceebs,

I remember in another thread you said you were borderline hypothyroid.

l-tyrosine is also used to make t3 & t4 - are you medicating the thyroid? Too much T3 maybe being made.

I tested tyrosine myself as an experiment last month, taking it with my SO to see if it would replace the phenylalanine in the Mountain Dew he seems to be addicted to. I found that when I did my temperatures rose and settled in the 99's and I wanted to eat all the time and would still maintain/lose weight. I became sort of hyperthyroid on it. (I too am borderline hypothyroid.)

I was only taking 500-1000 mgs per day before bed. Epinepherine & Norepinepherine don't do that to me - don't raise my temps like that, or increase my appetite (without gaining weight) like that. Thyroid medications do (I used a glandular similar to Armour). I hear from friends who are using cytomel & Armour (and other glandulars) that excess T3 will cause panic attacks.

There IS such a thing as too much of a good thing. If you are also medicating for the hypothyroid symptoms you might have overdone it. You could have also just taken too much tyrosine. You might want to try titrating down and see if you lose the panic attacks while maintaining the benefit, before giving up on it completely.

Reminds me .... I need to get more. It was pretty cool being able to eat like a teenager again without it ending up in a middle-aged spread. :)

Fawn

Top Bottom