Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I was told not to do behind the neck pull-downs...

RyanH

today at the gym by a guy who swears he fucked his neck up permanently by doing them....

But, I hate to give them up....since it is a very good isolating exercises........pull downs to the front seem to suck in comparison.

Does anyone know if doing behind the neck pull-downs usually end up resulting in injury, the guy at the gym was saying they almost always do.

I'll move this to the other board soon.

i've heard horror stories of people bringing the bar down too hard with too much momentum and bashing into their spine... could just be urban legand.... freaked me out a little though...

I used to do em with no problems, still can. But I know pple who have hurt themselves and remained so for weeks to months. I like doing reverse grip pulldowns, leaning back slightly, and chest stickin out. This really isolates as well.

As long as you are not curling your back at the end of the movement, than there shouldn't be any problem. Keep your back straight and your head up. I've been doing them on and off for 10 years with no problems

I've never had problems with them either, nor have I known anyone personally who had a horror story about them. However, a lot of guys on the Training board say they are dangerous. You'll likely get more input there.

There is no consensus on this one. Lots of people say military presses are bad for your shoulders, but I can't imagine life without 'em.

Ok Ryan, well they put your rotator cuffs into a compromised position first off, and you don't get full contraction of your lats doing them behind the neck.
Your lats will only full contract when their done to the front.
As for it being an isolation exercise, your wrong. Normally you'll go to failure on them because your biceps, which are alot smaller then your lats, give up first. There's a couple of things to do to stop this happening. First off take a thumbless grip on the bar, it takes the biceps out of the exercise some more.
And a super way to really isolate the lats, and pre-exhaust them is to do either pull over's or simulate pull overs on the lat machine by standing back from the machine, leaning into it at a 4 degre angle and pulling the bar with your arms straight to your upper thighs. Use a very light weight and go for 15 or 20 reps. If you try a heavy weight you bring your antior delts into the exercise.
If you can't imagine how this exercise is done I'll glad take my digicam to the cam and photo the exercise.
I dare anyone to pre-exhaust their lats in this fashion and come on here and say it does'nt work !.
After trying it for only 2-3 sets go onto your pull downs or chin up to the front and your lats will fail before you biceps, promise.
It's a great super-set exercise also, doing the pull over's first then lat pull downs.
Hope this has been of some help Ryan.
Regards
Bouncer

bouncer said:
....And a super way to really isolate the lats, and pre-exhaust them is to do either pull over's or simulate pull overs on the lat machine by standing back from the machine, leaning into it at a 4 degre angle and pulling the bar with your arms straight to your upper thighs. Use a very light weight and go for 15 or 20 reps. If you try a heavy weight you bring your antior delts into the exercise. . . .

I've done this excercise, although not that many reps. It doesn't appear to work your lats much, as does a pulldown or row. But it really does. It's an excellent excercise. You will definitely feel it.

I do behind the neck pulldowns every week and love them. I to have heard the horror stories about doing them. I think as long as you have a nice wide grip and don't try to do too much weight, or bring the bar down too far you will be fine.

Gymtime like I said they need to be done with light weights and lots of reps otherwise your delts are brought into the exercise by forcing the bar down. Concentrate on pulling with your lats only. Try imagine your pulling your elbows to your side using only your lats.
If done properly you'll be walking saidways through door's for the rest of the day !.

Bouncer

Top Bottom