Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How many of you stretch before working out ?

sjhaxp

I'm amazed at how people I see in my gym who walk in and start working out without stretching first. The other day one guy, an IFBB pro (usually places 15th or worse) got to the gym late, hopped on the incline bench....1st set 135lbs, 2nd set 225lbs and 3rd set 315lbs for eight. My chest was hurtin' just watching.

i have always been told to stretch very very little before a workout. i usually dont stretch at all, just do a couple of warm up sets.

You best results come when you stretch when your warmed up. WIth that in mind I usually do a little stretching between sets, but not much.

I took martial arts classes from the time I was 13... stretching before class was the routine... never really explained... just part of what we did.

Then in college I took a lot of dance classes... intense dance... all my teachers were Broadway performers or had their own dance companies... there I got an explanation and an education.

The first thing you are really taught in real hardcore dance is how to dance "for life." The concept is how to dance an entire intense athletic career without having career ending injuries... especially little cumulative injuries that you don't even notice building. Stretching and warming up was for a lifetime of prevention... not for just limbering up one morning.

After college I stopped stretching as much or as often - till one day in the gym I had a major injury.

That opened my eyes. I started stretching again before workouts. I started doing warm up sets before heavy sets. In short - I started lifting smart again.

The results - I have had occasional injuries since... but very few and generally very minimal. At 43 I look better and am stronger than I have ever been in my life. I know a lot of other guys I have lifted with who can't even lift anymore because of back injuries, joint problems etc... I can still hit the weights 5 days a week with no problem.

I do some simple streching before my workout just to get my blood flowing, but after my workout, I do some real stretching.

I always stretch.....I stretch before I work out, in between sets, and after I work out.

It is obvious that this will help avoid injuries.

NO NO NO! never stretch a cold muscle EVER; it severely weakens it. Like someone said above start light and warm up first. then stretch the shit out of it during working sets while you still have the pump. NEVER STRETCH A COLD MUSCLE!

I do anywhere from 5-10 minutes of light cardio and stretch out before I lift and I never had a pull or strain while lifting.

I have had problems with my lower back and shoulders so I do a light stretch before I lift for my shoulders and lower back. I also find that if I do not stretch my hamstring out when doing squats that I get a slight pulling sensation, so I also stretch before I do legs. I don't take to long to stretch before but I make sure I do stretch between sets and between excersices.

Top Bottom