Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

High protein diet messed my boweLs up. HELP!!!

aunit

Hey

I am 21 years old and recently switched my diet to a "high protein diet" about 3-4 weeks ago. Since about that time I have been constipated and bloated (about 3 weeks now). Is the diet change the reason for my bloating and constipation? I have switched back to my normal diet, but im still constipated and bloated. BUT THERE IS NO PAIN.

I have only gone to the bathroom three times in the past three weeks. The first time I used prune juice to get me going, the 2nd time I went to the doctor and he told me to use MAGNESIUM CITRATE (this got me going as well), and the third time I used prune juice again. Each of the three times I went to the bathroom I started off straining in order to release my stool. Then I immediately go into diarrhea.

I wake up every morning with a slightly distended stomach and after every time I eat I bloat like a balloon. it eventually goes down but never back to normal. MY DOCTOR THINKS IT INFLAMMATION causing this, but is that possible? My doctor also told me to take NEXIUM for the bloating. That just seems weird to me?

And about the constipation, he think it will pass but I see no signs of me going to the restroom.

What's the deal here? Can nexium be used to treat bloating. And why am I still bloated

yes u must eat or take sources of fiber when on a high protein diet .. i had the same problem in the past ..

up your fiber intake

Sounds like you aren't getting enough fiber, as hurricane and Angel mentioned. Fruits and vegetables are key, and you may even need a fiber supplement.

I'm assuming you aren't taking any narcotics?

BTW, proton pump inhibitors (like Nexium) actually decrease bowel function by decreasing the gastrocolic reflex. People with irritable bowel syndrome and chronic diarrhea often get relief of diarrhea by using PPI's. I mention this because the PPI may in theory make your constipation worse.

Top Bottom