Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fun with insulin secretagogues

F

Frackal

Taken from the awesome but not-updated-enough online mag anabolicextreme.com

"....4-Hydroxy-Isoleucine is a naturally occurring amino acid that has received some interest from the medical and research communities as of late. I say “some interest” due to the fact that, since it is naturally occurring, the patent and exclusive resale issues are difficult to lock-in. So “some interest” is closely related to “some financial possibility”. 4-Hydroxy-Isoleucine is a rather novel amino acid that acts as a potentiator of insulin. (Huh?)

Type-I diabetics are unable to adequately control their blood sugar. Of course the blood sugar I am referring to is called glucose. What happens is that a type-I diabetic has excessive circulating blood glucose and amino acids yet their body’s cells are starving. This is due to the fact that insulin is the body’s prime transport and storage hormone. So a type-I diabetic does not produce enough insulin to facilitate nutrient transport into cells. There are several prescription drugs that are employed to treat this condition. In most cases they induce their effect by increasing the amount of insulin the pancreatic beta cells secrete in response to food ingested. Guess what? 4-Hydroxy-Isoleucine does this also.

The way the body regulates circulating blood glucose levels is through the secretion of two hormones called glucagon and insulin. The latter’s secretion is a result of the pancreas’s beta cells receiving a “make insulin” signal as a reaction to food-stuff ingested. Since insulin is the body’s main storage hormone the transport of energy and growth nutrients into cells is dependent upon it. A significant decrease in insulin release in response to food ingested results in catabolism of muscle tissue and (strangely enough) an increase in fat stores. This simply means that there is not enough insulin released to accommodate the amount of calories eaten. It is often said that insulin makes people fat. In truth poor dietary habits, ineffective training, and “insulin insensitivity” actually is the villain. But that is an entirely different topic for now.

The reason growing bodybuilders want an increase in insulin secretion is to facilitate metabolic factors that initiate the anabolic process:

(1) Glucose derived predominantly from carbohydrates is stored as the energy substrate glycogen in the liver and muscle tissue. Insulin shuts off the rate limiting enzyme responsible for glycogen synthesis inhibition.

(2) Insulin is the transport/up-take hormone responsible for about half of the essential amino acids necessary for repair and growth entering muscle cells.

(3) Insulin inhibits the release and effects of a muscle eating hormone called cortisol. Therefore insulin is highly anti-catabolic.

(4) Supraphysiological blood insulin levels result in supraphysiological nutrient up-take by muscle cells. This means a dramatic increase in cellular anabolism and growth.

So the reason is simple. More insulin results in more growth promoting nutrients being forced into muscle cells and a decrease in muscle catabolism. That, boys and girls, means major growth potential.

The primary occurring source for natural 4-Hydroxy-Isoleucine is as an extract from fenugreek seed. The ground seed provides between 0.08-0.10 mg of the pure substance per 100 mg. This means that 1 gram of ground fenugreek seeds contains 80-100 mg of the amino acid. Some studies suggest that as little as 45 mg of 4-Hydroxy-Isoleucine can initiate a significant elevation in insulin release in the presence of adequate circulating blood glucose and amino acids. However, I find it unlikely that healthy individuals would realize benefits at dosages below 200 mg.

I have noted results realized during creatine/D-Ribose use with proper nutrition and training protocols are significantly better than those realized with any other supposed transport method. The athletes I work with find it easier to remain leaner yet larger through inclusion of this simple supplemental seed. And there are way too many Big Fat Bastards running around already. I certainly have no desire to create new ones."

Now, whoever finds a 4-hydroxyiso supp besides Eas' "OverpricedHP" gets the prize.... but I have a feeling there are no sources of pure 4-HI as of yet that are affordable...a few other overpriced supplements have them in small quantities...

Wondering for anyone familiar with fenugreek if it would be viable to take around 4 grams per meal and if this would be wise in a bulking scenario, say combined with r-ala ... I am wondering how 4-HI and r-ala would react together.

Can it be dangerous to agitate the pancreas like that. Diabetes I is often caused by prolonged overdemand of insulin.

Also glipizide can cause pancreas damage because of that.

Type II diabetes is caused by prolonged overdemand of insulin, not Type I. There is alot of speculation as to what causes Type I but nothing definitive yet.
Type II occurs when there is a high demand for insulin- especially from prolonged exposure to a poor diet extremely high in sugars. After a period of time the body becomes insensitive to it's insulin release, soon more insulin needs to be released to maintain blood glucose levels. This is the beginning of Type II. That's why people in the early stages of Type II take sugar pills- pancreas is releasing too much insulin due to a diet high in sugar. Once this occurs the pancreas starts working overtime, taxing beta cells to produce the insulin it needs to keep the body at a healthy blood sugar. After this onset occurs it's only a matter of time before the pancreas can no longer produce enough insulin to meet demands.

I've speculated that everyone's beta cells have a certain "lifetime" and can produce only so much insulin per period of time and that's why people develop Type I diabetes at different ages. Perhaps the 3 yr old who develops diabetes has the "beta cell strength" to produce insulin until they were six years old if they hadn't consumed as much carbohydrates as they had. Just a theory.

Thanks for the info Frackal. It gives me more hope that Type I diabetics might have more options other than exogenous insulin therapy in the near future. I know it's nothing definite but anything that would lessen the amount of insulin my daughter pricks herself with would give me hope.:) :) :)

Switched On

A significant decrease in insulin release in response to food ingested results in catabolism of muscle tissue and (strangely enough) an increase in fat stores.

This statement is total BS.

Top Bottom