Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Exercising and High Blood Pressure

Victoria1968

Hey, I'm relatively new to the board....... recently checked my BP a few times at those free test machines in stores such as Target, and it came up high - not dangerously, just right at the beginning of the 'high' range. Stopped at the doctor's office to check it there, a point or two lower but still a little high. Can't get an appointment until mid-October, and she's away for several days.

I was just wondering, generally, anyone here's experience, what might be recommended generally as far as whether I should keep exercising and just maybe lower the intensity a little bit for the next 6 wks until I get to see the doc, or what. Obviously not looking for medical advice (well unless there's a doc in the house so to speak ;) ), but just looking for input/advice or whatever from someone who might have it and knows the deal.

Thanks. :beer:

How high was your BP?As your heart rate increases so does your BP to a certain degree,mine gets a little higher with anxiety,a little walking,working out,you need to take your resting BP,and then take it after activity,to really see where you stand.

Victoria1968 said:
Hey, I'm relatively new to the board....... recently checked my BP a few times at those free test machines in stores such as Target, and it came up high - not dangerously, just right at the beginning of the 'high' range. Stopped at the doctor's office to check it there, a point or two lower but still a little high. Can't get an appointment until mid-October, and she's away for several days.

I was just wondering, generally, anyone here's experience, what might be recommended generally as far as whether I should keep exercising and just maybe lower the intensity a little bit for the next 6 wks until I get to see the doc, or what. Obviously not looking for medical advice (well unless there's a doc in the house so to speak ;) ), but just looking for input/advice or whatever from someone who might have it and knows the deal.

Thanks. :beer:

Eat more mono and polyunsaturated fats. safflower iol , sunflower , olive , peanut butter(all natural), almost any kind of nuts. treadmill/run. noflush niacin you can buy at heath food store increases hdl. Stay away from junk food and saturated fats. Decrease trips to McDonalds as french fries are high in what's called trans fats.

what was your BP? if it wasnt extremely high then you defenitly need to exercise. Take some omega 3's, this has been shown to lower BP up to 10 points. Some people have slightly elevated BP without it being a problem...just because it doesnt fit in the "normal" category doesnt mean its no normal for you.

It was 141/91, not too high, but in the high range nonetheless. I've been working out regularly for the past 2 years, eating a lot better, taking vitamins, everything. I don't know what else to do to lower it, but I'm not sure if it's at the level that needs medication. Just wondered if I should adjust my workout b/c of it. I don't even know how long it's been high, I rarely check it. Guess I'll get one of those wrist monitors - anyone have one?

I wouldnt alter anything your doing? how intense are your workout sessions? Do you take any flax or omega 3? IF you dont mind me asking, how tall are you and how much do you weigh? What is your resting HR?

how old are you? born in 1968? and what did your doc say?

Your BP is on the high side of the line, if you have done what you mention, then good for you to get a check-up from your doc. Wt, HT, family history are important in your BP profile, also you mentioned you eat right, take extra care w/ your salt intake, use low sodium salt[higher in K, easier on the BP + heart]. Your BP won't put you in serious trouble for complicaitons, but none the less it is important to know whether you have family BP issues, or even fat/chol issues, these can come back to bite you if mixed with a diet that predisposes you more. Look at former pres Clinton, You hear the media jumping all over "why did this happen?", in their usual sensationalistic way. That he stoppped taking meds to lower chol factored in,and little things, like the diet he chose also factored...but the true measures are his family profile, and his lifestyle choices for the last 30 yrs, not what he did in the last 1-2 yrs. For his arteries to get like that came from an accumulation over many years.
Sorry for the rambling, but I wanted to illustrate a point. Hope I did w/out boring the crap out of you.

I'm 36, will be 37 in February. My dad has a history of high blood pressure and heart disease, and I'm going to be asking a lot of questions when I see the doctor (not till 10/15). I called the doc though and she said exercise is fine. I don't do an overly strenuous workout, but I admit I'm a little paranoid about pushing it to the limit. I really need to invest in a wrist heart/bp monitor to keep close watch, I guess. When I do cardio I use the machines where you can track your heart rate, so I keep pretty close tabs on it. My resting HR is in the 80's, when I'm a little stressed it can get up to 100 or so.

Victoria1968 said:
I'm 36, will be 37 in February. My dad has a history of high blood pressure and heart disease, and I'm going to be asking a lot of questions when I see the doctor (not till 10/15). I called the doc though and she said exercise is fine. I don't do an overly strenuous workout, but I admit I'm a little paranoid about pushing it to the limit. I really need to invest in a wrist heart/bp monitor to keep close watch, I guess. When I do cardio I use the machines where you can track your heart rate, so I keep pretty close tabs on it. My resting HR is in the 80's, when I'm a little stressed it can get up to 100 or so.

You can also buy raw flax seed and spoon it like cereal. It is said to lower blood pressure

Top Bottom