Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

efficacy of exemestane (Aromasin) vs. letrozole (Femara) in lowering estrogen

plornive

I have been reading about letrozole and exemestane, but I have not found any reason to believe exemestane lowers estrogen more significanly than letrozole. Since exemestane is a suicidal deactivator of aromatase, would it be the most effective when using high amounts of aromatizable steroids? But since letrozole is more specific, wouldn't it be more effective? If used in combination, would they work better than higher doses of one or the other? Here is the only relevant research paper I have found so far. Previously posted by Zyglamail:

Prescrire Int 2001 Aug;10(54):108-9

Exemestane: new preparation. No tangible advance in metastatic breast cancer after tamoxifen failure.

(1) The reference second-line hormone treatment for breast cancer in postmenopausal women, after failure of anti-oestrogen therapy, is an aromatase inhibitor such as letrozole. (2) The clinical assessment file on exemestane, a new aromatase inhibitor licensed for this indication, contains no data from clinical trials versus letrozole or anastrozole, the other oral aromatase inhibitors. Data from non comparative trials fail to show whether cross-resistance between aromatase inhibitors exists. (3) In a double-blind trial involving 769 patients in whom tamoxifen had failed, the antitumour effect of exemestane appeared to be equivalent to that of the progestagen megestrol. (4) This trial showed that the adverse effect profile of exemestane was similar
to that of other aromatase inhibitors, with mainly vasomotor flushes, nausea, fatigue and sweating. (5) In practice, the arrival of exemestane changes nothing in the hormone therapy of breast cancer in postmenopausal women, which should consist of tamoxifen (an anti-oestrogen) first; followed by the aromatase inhibitor letrozole if tamoxifen fails.

PMID: 11718178 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

BUMP

Comeon... I have heard some people say exemestane stops aromatization more than letrozole, and others vice versa! Any first-hand experience with both in similar circumstances???

Top Bottom