Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

dumbell shape and weight

fallenangel

I'm not particularily strong (ok i'm weak) but anyway in the gym they have got these shiny new chrome dumbells. The previous week i did concentration curls with the old dumbell with 35ib and struggled. Last week i used these chrome dumbells that are in kilos and did 38.5 ibs (17.5 k) concetration curls with no problem yet when i tried with the old dumbells i struggled again. I then did a shoulder workout and my dumbell press increased by 3.5 ibs and felt easier than with the old dumbells i wieghed them both old and new on a digital scale and they both weight the weight they say they are so has anyone got any idea why these kilogram new dumbells feel easier. By the way i'm not the only one to notice it the girl behind the desk at the gym say she can get out 5 reps more with the chrome dumbells at a heavier weight on flys (27.5 ibs as opposed to 25ib) any ideas??

Chrome dumbells? Sounds like what I wear on my necklace when I go out!! Oh no wait, those are what my mother uses in her jazzercise class.

is the handle shaped differently (more ergonomically)? are they better balanced?

certainly these things could have positive effects on your nervous system which would allow you to lift more weight.

I notice the same thing in my gym. We have two sets of dumbells one rubber set that is much larger in size and one metal set. The larger rubber dbs are much more difficult to control then the small metal ones of the same weight.

Yes, this happens. 1 piece Solid dumbells have a smoother feel to them. Dumbells with many plates can sometimes loosen making it harder to balance.

Wanna talk about hard to balance, I just got back from a cruise. Try doing incline db presses on a cruise ship as it's rocking side to side. Talk about using your stabilizer muslces.

I have tried this before:
Put 225lbs on a bench press using 25lb plts and 10lb plts. Do a set or two.
then put (2) 45lb plts (225lbs) and do a set or two. you will feel the differen.
A more compacted weight should feel lighter and something spread out should feel heavy and harder to balance.

Top Bottom