Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

DOMS after muscle stretching ... Gains, or just Pain!!!

LoneTree

2-3 days ago, I had bad DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) in my leg muscles. I was surprised because I hadn't worked out that area .. till I remembered: I did some back exercises that stretched flexor leg muscles.

I read in a recent book on exercise and sports physiology that DOMS are more likely to happen after an exercises that stretches the muscle than the one that shortens it. It also said that there is evidence that DOMS may lead to gains.
I am skeptic that DOMS caused just by muscle stretching will contribute to gains.
What do you think?

DOMS occurs mainly during eccentric exercise. DOMS is an inflamatory responce due to disruption of muscle fibres. IF you strech your muscle to the extent that you have muscle fibre and connective tissue disruption/microtrauma you could certainly get DOMS from strecthing, but this wont be related to growth.

All in all i really doubt if DOMS is related to growth. They go hand in hand, but its two diffrent pathways. I would like to debate this point...being an exercise physiologist.

DOMS comes from a lack of conditioning to an exercise or movement. You asked the muscles to do something they weren't accustomed to doing and they're complaining about it.

There's no indication that the presence or lack of DOMS is any indication of a worthwhile workout or session or, indeed, anything more than a lack of conditioning. The best way to get rid of it is to work the aching muscles under low stress. Stretching can help but going for a walk is likely to help a lot more.

Most of the guys on the training forum who run the 5x5 which is based around 3 full-body squat/press/pull workouts per week, report DOMS being a thing of the past. It's all about acclimatizing to movements.

Cybergenics cycles always stressed the importance of stretching, so there must be something to it... that shit was almost as good as the roid store. :p

Top Bottom