Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

do different forms of cardio make a difference?

finallygotlayed

I'm naturally an endomorph fellas so cardio isn't my favorite thing. I'm not fat, but I have a feeling I'm gonna have to fight to see these abs. Now for the past two days I've been doing 20 minutes of cardio 2 times per day. I have only slightly adjusted my caloric intake, and I feel hungry all the time now, my food actually digests quicker, or so it seems. I'm assuming that this is a sign that my metabolism has sped up. My question is; does it matter what form of cardio I do? I stick with the bikes so I can read for school while I do my cardio. Obviously other forms of cardio burn more cals during the actual doing of the cardio. But my theory is that a couple of hundred of cals is not a big deal and that the stimulation of metabolism is the same overall. Anyone know?

If you already saw this, it was on the anabolic board, but I wanted another take on it.

------------------
This post was brought to you by someone formerly known as Cantgetlayed.

Cardio is all about keeping your heart rate in the zone...it make no difference to your body how you do it...although low impact is much better for bodybuilders..especially while calorie restricting..

WCP

------------------
driven by testosterone
adrenaline and pheromone
crowning glory of creation
super-human incarnation

This is my take on Cardio. WCP is right about keeping your heart in a zone is all that matters. The thing is though that your body will get used to whatever you do to it to some degree. For example, if all you ever do is ride the bike then your body will adjust to that form of exercise. Hence you will have to work harder on the bike to achieve your target heart rate. Eventually you will have to put in a lot of time on the bike to get your heart in the zone. Now if you were to say switch to a stair stepper after a while...your body would not be as adjusted and would tire more quickly. If your looking to spend as little time on cardio as possible then it is good to mix it up. It's good to keep your body guessing. Another important thing to consider is doing what you like most. I hate cardio, but there are certain machines that I can tolerate. Your most likely to put the work in on the ones you like the most. If you hate the stair stepper then there is no point in doing it if your not gonna work hard enough to make it worth your while. Also switching it up can make it a little less painful because it is a little more interesting. If all you did was bench press for chest day in and day out...you'd get pretty fuckin fed up with bench press. Switch to dumbells occasionally and then it's not so bad because it's not as redundant. Hope this helps ya some.

------------------
"That Which Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger"

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

The first 20 minuets of cardio only burns the glycogen stored in the muscles, you need to do cardio
For longer than 20 minuets if you want to burn fat. You should also do your resistance exercises first
then do the cardio.

------------------

Intensity is what determines what is being burned..glycogen or fat. Not necessarily time. If I run at a fast pace I am burning roughly 70% from my glycogen stores and 30% from my fat stores. If I walk a moderate pace I am burning roughly 70% fat and 30% glycogen. The thing is though that people spend too much time thinking about ratios and not total caloric spendature. If I sit there and don't move I am burning nearly 100% fat. That doesn't mean sitting there is the best way to lose extra body fat. Say I am walking and burning that 30%glycogen and 70%fat...just to give it a number say I burn 100 cals from fat and 40 cals of glycogen in 20 minutes. If I jog for 20 minutes lets say I burn 50% glycogen and 50% fats. But I burn 150 glycogen calories and 150 fat calories. Now lets say I run for 20 minutes. I burn at a rate of 30%fat and 70% glycogen. But now I burn 200 fat calories and 350 glycogen calories. I may be burning more glycogen but fat calories are still burnt more efficiently than walking.

The point is that just cause you walk slower doesn't mean that you are burning more fat if you look at total number of fat calories burned. Plus there is nothing that says you have to walk for 20 minutes before you start burning fat.

------------------
"That Which Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger"

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

shit curious, I didn't know you knew so much, thanks a lot man.

------------------

Every morning I get up at 4:00am to get on my recumbent bike for 60 min. except it is fun! Let me explain: You get a TV put it in front of the bike hook a game system to it (I like my N64) and you forget how bored you get while your doing your cardio. A first person shooter would be best to get your mind off doing cardio because of the intense concentration needed. My choice is Perfect Dark for the N64. I only wish I could hook it up to net to have some real competition.

Try it; just make sure you peddle hard enough!

[This message has been edited by Zeacky (edited October 04, 2000).]

wow zeaky, that is a great idea, kills the boredom, i'll definately have to try that

------------------

I know I'm a freak about this, and you can all jump all over my sorry ass, but I'm of the firm opinion that cardio DOESN'T DO SHIT for body composition. I mean that very seriously. Cardio is great for cardiovascular conditioning, but for changing body composition? Nada. Bupkes. Zip.

We had a thread on the other EF board about this last week, and I took a bunch of flack on one side and got some props on the other, and I'm really not up (at least right now) to marshalling all those arguments again, but I think time will bear me out. You want to get your ticker working shipshape? Do cardio! You want to change your body composition? LIFT! No more complicated than that.

If this irritates you, then just pass by on the other side, man. Spare me the flames. Like I said, we just did a big number on this last week sometime, and I ain't up to another controversy right now.

Bjaarki

------------------
"'Til the weard of the world, stands, unforgotten,
high under Heaven, the hero's name." - Hrolf Krakki's Saga (Iceland)

BECOME SOMEONE'S HERO!

If my memory serves me correct FukkenShredded was a big proponent of wind sprints for cutting up.

Authored by: FukkenShredded

"A very effective but little discussed method for getting ripped involves anaerobic exercise. Try windsprints in the following regime: 1 minute @ max pace, 2 min @ medium run (about 7-8 min mile), 3 min @ fast walk, and repeat three more times. Total workout is less than thirty minutes. Oxygen deprivation and incresed lactic acid create a very difficult environment for muscular contraction...eventually the mitochondria population is increased to assist in the oxygenation of the musculature, without the corresponding increase in size. This results in greater biological activity in the organisms musculature per cubic inch of tissue, which, of course, burns more fat, even at rest."

"There is a 'magic exercise' so to speak, and I have posted it several times on this board. Windsprints. It mystifies me why there is not more print addressing this exercise approach and its effect on the body. I thoroughly understand the reasons that windsprints work, but to completely cover the topic would require too much space. I will, however, encapsulate the primary chain of logic now. As you are no doubt aware, the culprit that impedes fat loss the most is sugar. That is why you always hear about carb reduction. Well...what are you burning during intense ANAEROBIC exercise? You got it. Sugar. So guess what? No sugar left to store as fat. If you reduce sugar intake and incorporate windsprints into your daily routine, you will be absolutely stunned at how the fat seems to beam itself into a parallel dimension. Simultaneously, you are increasing the mitochondria population in your body, therefore creating a more biologically active environment; i.e. faster metabolism. Lastly, there are repurcussions from forcing the leg musculature to work vigorously in an oxygen depleted state. Suffice it to say that the effects combine to burn fat much faster than any other exercise...even faster than any drug. I have proven to myself and some of my skepical friends many times. Wanna lose the love handles?? WINDSPRINTS EVERY DAY. Sprint on the treadmill for sixty seconds, then walk at max pace for two minutes, and repeat until vapor lock. There ya go."

------------------
ZeackyBESTbmp.jpg

[This message has been edited by Zeacky (edited October 04, 2000).]

Top Bottom