Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Crohns Disease & Anabolic Steroids?

shortstack

Banned
HI THERE,
I HAVE CROHNS AND HAVING BEEN LIFTING FOR 3 YEARS THROUGH MANY FLARE UPS, AND COME TO THE POINT A YEAR AGO WANTING TO USE ANABOLICS.THE PROBLEM IS I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IT WOULD INCREASE FLARE UPS OF MY DISEASE!BUT NO EXPLANATION TO WHY.ANOTHER THING IS THAT PETER NIELSON WON MR UNIVERSE IN 1985 I THINK AND HE HAD CROHNS.IM ASSUMING HE USED TONS OF GEAR!IF THERE IS ANY OF YOU THAT KNOW ANY INFO ON THIS TOPIC, OR HAVE KNOWN ANYONE WHO HAS CROHNS AND TAKEN STEROIDS PLEASE LET ME KNOW!I HAVE TAKEN CLENBUTEROL, BUT THAT WOULDNT HAVE THE SAME PRPERTIES AS SAY ANADROL 50 ECT
THANKS ALOT GUYS
FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME AT [email protected]
APPRECIATE IT
STACK

I have IBS and test makes it worse. The only thing I can think of is anabolic steroids are sort of the opposite hormone of prednisone. They use prednisone to treat IBD. So anabolic steroids might make IBD worse. But this is a total guess. From my own experience Test might make IBD worse.

I'd stay away from any steroids without doctor supervision.

The body's immune system often mistakes exogenous steroid compounds, especially injectible steroids, as a threat. With Crohn's disease, it's practically a crap shoot as to how your body will react negatively.

shortstack said:
HI THERE,
I HAVE CROHNS AND HAVING BEEN LIFTING FOR 3 YEARS THROUGH MANY FLARE UPS, AND COME TO THE POINT A YEAR AGO WANTING TO USE ANABOLICS.THE PROBLEM IS I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IT WOULD INCREASE FLARE UPS OF MY DISEASE!BUT NO EXPLANATION TO WHY.ANOTHER THING IS THAT PETER NIELSON WON MR UNIVERSE IN 1985 I THINK AND HE HAD CROHNS.IM ASSUMING HE USED TONS OF GEAR!IF THERE IS ANY OF YOU THAT KNOW ANY INFO ON THIS TOPIC, OR HAVE KNOWN ANYONE WHO HAS CROHNS AND TAKEN STEROIDS PLEASE LET ME KNOW!I HAVE TAKEN CLENBUTEROL, BUT THAT WOULDNT HAVE THE SAME PRPERTIES AS SAY ANADROL 50 ECT
THANKS ALOT GUYS
FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME AT [email protected]
APPRECIATE IT
STACK
Welcome to the EF boards shortstack :)

First of all if you're taking the medication sulfasalazine, aas are listed as causing drug interactions.

Drug Interactions
Consult your doctor for specific advice if you are taking acetaminophen, acetohydroxamic acid, alfentanil, amiodarone, aminophylline, anabolic steroids, androgens, antithyroid drugs, anticoagulants, oral antidiabetics, caffeine, carbamazepine, carmustine, chloramphenicol, chloroquine, oral contraceptives, dantrolene, dapsone, daunorubicin, disulfiram, divalproex, estrogens, etretinate, gold salts, hydroxychloroquine, methotrexate, mercaptopurine, methyldopa, naltrexone, oral contraceptives, phenothiazine, phenytoin, plicamycin, primaquine, procainamide, quinidine, quinine, sulfoxone, or vitamin K.

Next thing, I need some information on your diet and all medications you are taking.

If your diet is in check, producing the least amount of inflamation and can maintain remisions with you're condition there are a few anabolics you can take, including HGH.

Sugar free diet: a new perspective in the treatment of Crohn disease? Randomized, control study] [Article in German]

Brandes JW, Lorenz-Meyer H.

Z Gastroenterol 1981 Jan;19(1):1-12

Since several studies have shown that patients with Crohn's disease have an increased consumption of refined carbohydrates, the influence of a diet excluding refined sugar on the course of the disease was examined. In a randomised control trial, 20 patients (10 patients in each group) with Crohn's disease were treated for an average of 18 months with two different diets. The patients used in the study had a low or middle activity of the disease. Drug treatment was omitted 14 days before commencement of the study. The first group was treated with a low carbohydrate diet (refined sugar excluded), the second group received a high carbohydrate diet (refined sugar-rich). In patients with higher activities of the disease (activity index 100-200 points), the diet which restricted refined sugar was superior to the sugar-rich diet; in 4 out of 5 patients the disease activity decreased and remained so throughout the study-period. In contrast to this 4 patients treated with the sugar-rich diet had to be taken off the treatment because of increasing activities of the disease. In patients with quiescent disease (activity index less than 100 points), neither of the diets showed detrimental effects. The statistical analysis of clinical and laboratory dates noted during the study period resulted in no significant differences between the two groups.

Essential fatty acids in health and chronic disease.

Simopoulos AP. Center for Genetics, Nutrition and Health, Washington, DC 20009 [email protected]

Am J Clin Nutr 1999 Sep;70(3 Suppl):560S-569S

Human beings evolved consuming a diet that contained about equal amounts of n-3 and n-6 essential fatty acids. Over the past 100-150 y there has been an enormous increase in the consumption of n-6 fatty acids due to the increased intake of vegetable oils from corn, sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, cottonseed, and soybeans. Today, in Western diets, the ratio of n-6 to n-3 fatty acids ranges from approximately 20-30:1 instead of the traditional range of 1-2:1. Studies indicate that a high intake of n-6 fatty acids shifts the physiologic state to one that is prothrombotic and proaggregatory, characterized by increases in blood viscosity, vasospasm, and vasoconstriction and decreases in bleeding time. n-3 Fatty acids, however, have antiinflammatory, antithrombotic, antiarrhythmic, hypolipidemic, and vasodilatory properties. These beneficial effects of n-3 fatty acids have been shown in the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and, in some patients with renal disease, rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, Crohn disease, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Most of the studies were carried out with fish oils [eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)]. However, alpha-linolenic acid, found in green leafy vegetables, flaxseed, rapeseed, and walnuts, desaturates and elongates in the human body to EPA and DHA and by itself may have beneficial effects in health and in the control of chronic diseases.

Therefore your diet should be void of refined carbs and you should supplement with CLA(sunflower oil) 12gms throughout the day and GLA(borage oil) 1.440gms preferably before retiring=6x240mg capsules, as well as flax oil and salmon oil capsules 2gms 3x daily.

Here's a read on the benefits of Human Growth Hormone....

A preliminary study of growth hormone therapy for Crohn's disease.

Slonim AE, Bulone L, Damore MB, Goldberg T, Wingertzahn MA, McKinley MJ. Department of Pediatrics, North Shore University Hospital and New York University School of Medicine, Manhasset 11030, USA. [email protected]

N Engl J Med 2000 Jun 1;342(22):1633-7

BACKGROUND: Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammatory disorder of the bowel. In a preliminary study, we evaluated whether the administration of growth hormone (somatropin) as well as a high-protein diet would ameliorate the symptoms of the disease.

METHODS: We randomly assigned 37 adults with moderate-to-severe active Crohn's disease to four months of self-administered injections of growth hormone (loading dose, 5 mg per day subcutaneously for one week, followed by a maintenance dose of 1.5 mg per day) or placebo. We instructed all patients to increase their protein intake to at least 2 g per kilogram of body weight per day. Patients continued to be treated by their usual physicians and to receive other medications for Crohn's disease. The primary end point was the change in scores on the Crohn's Disease Activity Index from base line to month 4. Scores can range from 0 to 600, with higher scores indicating more disease activity.

RESULTS: At base line, the mean (SD) score on the Crohn's Disease Activity Index was somewhat higher among the 19 patients in the growth hormone group than among the 18 patients in the placebo group (287134 vs. 213120, P=0.09). Three patients in the placebo group withdrew before their first follow-up visit and were not included in the data analysis. At four months, the Crohn's Disease Activity Index score had decreased by a mean of 143144 points in the growth hormone group, as compared with a decrease of 1963 points in the placebo group (P=0.004). Side effects in the growth hormone group included edema (in 10 patients) and headache (in 5) and usually resolved within the first month of treatment.

CONCLUSIONS: Our preliminary study suggests that growth hormone may be a beneficial treatment for patients with Crohn's disease.

Deca-Durabolin and oxandrolone can be used, however I'll have to venture to the health science library to dig up the abstract for oxandrin .

Generic: Abolon Nandrolone Decanoate - Anabolic steroid

DECA-DURABOLIN is in a class of drugs called steroids. Dexamethasone reduces swelling and decreases the body's immune response.
DECA-DURABOLIN is used to treat many different conditions. It is used to treat endocrine (hormonal) disorders when the body does not produce enough of its own steroids. It is also used to treat many immune and allergic disorders, such as arthritis, lupus, severe psoriasis, severe asthma, ulcerative colitis, and Crohn's disease.
DECA-DURABOLIN may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

: Am J Gastroenterol. 1997 Dec;92(12):2330-1. Related Articles, Links

Oxandrolone use in Crohn's disease.

Kravetz JD, Lee C, Dieterich DT.

Publication Types:
Letter

I'll be back.....Peace Out B32 ;)

Last edited:
Re: Re: Crohns Disease & Anabolic Steroids?

b1ewsw32 said:

Welcome to the EF boards shortstack :)

First of all if you're taking the medication sulfasalazine, aas are listed as causing drug interactions.

Drug Interactions
Consult your doctor for specific advice if you are taking acetaminophen, acetohydroxamic acid, alfentanil, amiodarone, aminophylline, anabolic steroids, androgens, antithyroid drugs, anticoagulants, oral antidiabetics, caffeine, carbamazepine, carmustine, chloramphenicol, chloroquine, oral contraceptives, dantrolene, dapsone, daunorubicin, disulfiram, divalproex, estrogens, etretinate, gold salts, hydroxychloroquine, methotrexate, mercaptopurine, methyldopa, naltrexone, oral contraceptives, phenothiazine, phenytoin, plicamycin, primaquine, procainamide, quinidine, quinine, sulfoxone, or vitamin K.

Next thing, I need some information on your diet and all medications you are taking.

If your diet is in check, producing the least amount of inflamation and can maintain remisions with you're condition there are a few anabolics you can take, including HGH.

Sugar free diet: a new perspective in the treatment of Crohn disease? Randomized, control study] [Article in German]

Brandes JW, Lorenz-Meyer H.

Z Gastroenterol 1981 Jan;19(1):1-12

Since several studies have shown that patients with Crohn's disease have an increased consumption of refined carbohydrates, the influence of a diet excluding refined sugar on the course of the disease was examined. In a randomised control trial, 20 patients (10 patients in each group) with Crohn's disease were treated for an average of 18 months with two different diets. The patients used in the study had a low or middle activity of the disease. Drug treatment was omitted 14 days before commencement of the study. The first group was treated with a low carbohydrate diet (refined sugar excluded), the second group received a high carbohydrate diet (refined sugar-rich). In patients with higher activities of the disease (activity index 100-200 points), the diet which restricted refined sugar was superior to the sugar-rich diet; in 4 out of 5 patients the disease activity decreased and remained so throughout the study-period. In contrast to this 4 patients treated with the sugar-rich diet had to be taken off the treatment because of increasing activities of the disease. In patients with quiescent disease (activity index less than 100 points), neither of the diets showed detrimental effects. The statistical analysis of clinical and laboratory dates noted during the study period resulted in no significant differences between the two groups.

Essential fatty acids in health and chronic disease.

Simopoulos AP. Center for Genetics, Nutrition and Health, Washington, DC 20009 [email protected]

Am J Clin Nutr 1999 Sep;70(3 Suppl):560S-569S

Human beings evolved consuming a diet that contained about equal amounts of n-3 and n-6 essential fatty acids. Over the past 100-150 y there has been an enormous increase in the consumption of n-6 fatty acids due to the increased intake of vegetable oils from corn, sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, cottonseed, and soybeans. Today, in Western diets, the ratio of n-6 to n-3 fatty acids ranges from approximately 20-30:1 instead of the traditional range of 1-2:1. Studies indicate that a high intake of n-6 fatty acids shifts the physiologic state to one that is prothrombotic and proaggregatory, characterized by increases in blood viscosity, vasospasm, and vasoconstriction and decreases in bleeding time. n-3 Fatty acids, however, have antiinflammatory, antithrombotic, antiarrhythmic, hypolipidemic, and vasodilatory properties. These beneficial effects of n-3 fatty acids have been shown in the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and, in some patients with renal disease, rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, Crohn disease, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Most of the studies were carried out with fish oils [eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)]. However, alpha-linolenic acid, found in green leafy vegetables, flaxseed, rapeseed, and walnuts, desaturates and elongates in the human body to EPA and DHA and by itself may have beneficial effects in health and in the control of chronic diseases.

Therefore your diet should be void of refined carbs and you should supplement with CLA(sunflower oil) 12gms throughout the day and GLA(borage oil) 1.440gms preferably before retiring=6x240mg capsules, as well as flax oil and salmon oil capsules 2gms 3x daily.

Here's a read on the benefits of Human Growth Hormone....

A preliminary study of growth hormone therapy for Crohn's disease.

Slonim AE, Bulone L, Damore MB, Goldberg T, Wingertzahn MA, McKinley MJ. Department of Pediatrics, North Shore University Hospital and New York University School of Medicine, Manhasset 11030, USA. [email protected]

N Engl J Med 2000 Jun 1;342(22):1633-7

BACKGROUND: Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammatory disorder of the bowel. In a preliminary study, we evaluated whether the administration of growth hormone (somatropin) as well as a high-protein diet would ameliorate the symptoms of the disease.

METHODS: We randomly assigned 37 adults with moderate-to-severe active Crohn's disease to four months of self-administered injections of growth hormone (loading dose, 5 mg per day subcutaneously for one week, followed by a maintenance dose of 1.5 mg per day) or placebo. We instructed all patients to increase their protein intake to at least 2 g per kilogram of body weight per day. Patients continued to be treated by their usual physicians and to receive other medications for Crohn's disease. The primary end point was the change in scores on the Crohn's Disease Activity Index from base line to month 4. Scores can range from 0 to 600, with higher scores indicating more disease activity.

RESULTS: At base line, the mean (SD) score on the Crohn's Disease Activity Index was somewhat higher among the 19 patients in the growth hormone group than among the 18 patients in the placebo group (287134 vs. 213120, P=0.09). Three patients in the placebo group withdrew before their first follow-up visit and were not included in the data analysis. At four months, the Crohn's Disease Activity Index score had decreased by a mean of 143144 points in the growth hormone group, as compared with a decrease of 1963 points in the placebo group (P=0.004). Side effects in the growth hormone group included edema (in 10 patients) and headache (in 5) and usually resolved within the first month of treatment.

CONCLUSIONS: Our preliminary study suggests that growth hormone may be a beneficial treatment for patients with Crohn's disease.

Deca-Durabolin and oxandrolone can be used, however I'll have to venture to the health science library to dig up the abstract for oxandrin .

Generic: Abolon Nandrolone Decanoate - Anabolic steroid

DECA-DURABOLIN is in a class of drugs called steroids. Dexamethasone reduces swelling and decreases the body's immune response.
DECA-DURABOLIN is used to treat many different conditions. It is used to treat endocrine (hormonal) disorders when the body does not produce enough of its own steroids. It is also used to treat many immune and allergic disorders, such as arthritis, lupus, severe psoriasis, severe asthma, ulcerative colitis, and Crohn's disease.
DECA-DURABOLIN may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

: Am J Gastroenterol. 1997 Dec;92(12):2330-1. Related Articles, Links

Oxandrolone use in Crohn's disease.

Kravetz JD, Lee C, Dieterich DT.

Publication Types:
Letter

I'll be back.....Peace Out B32 ;)

Wow great info!

I just want to start off by saying thanks for taking the time to post all that info, you wont believe how long I've tried to find someone help me answer the questions regarding crohns and anabolics.Hey if i could maybe get your email addy, or even just write to myn, I could send you my whole diet, Its basically the same every day.Oh and some info on the relation with oxandrin would be awsome! Man Ive so got the heart for bodybuilding, i just need to find a few things I can take to help me i bit.
Once again I just want to say thanks alot man
Peace.

Hi there, I have suffered for 6 years with colitus( very similar), whilst taking messalasine to control my condition I was able to complete two cycles with no problems, a sust and deca cycle and a dbol and sust cycle and made excellent gains, the only problem I had was when coming off the second cycle and then using clen and eca for cutting. I had quite a bad flare up at this time which has forced me to use prednisolone and azathioprine to get the colitus under control this took about 7 months. I have now come off the prednisolone and my doc has kept me on the azathioprine, and now I am wanting to complete my third cycle altough like you I need some advice on the complications of taking azathioprine while juicing. I can tell you that the AAS did not affect my condition at all and if anything I felt better whilst on cycle. It all depends what medication you are on and to what severity you disease is at. good luck turtle

im not on any severe meds, im basically in remission right now, i am taking howecer, folic acid and azathioprine, but i could stop that if needed. turtle are you absolutly sure it did cause a flare up, cause some steroids increase immune system and crohns is supposedly has to high of an immune system which is its problem, just wondering.by the way where are u located turtle?

Top Bottom