Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

crohns disease

newbie270

i have crohns disease and was wondering what form of protein powder(whey, casein, soy) i should use because i have difficulty keeping weight on. I also need this to be an easily digestible protein power. A good brand and type would be great. Thank you for all your help.

A blend of all 3 of those would benefit you the most, as each has it's own unique amino structure, whey is high in bcaa's, soy is high in glutamine, casein in the 8 eccential aminos, also egg is often forgotten but shouldn't be is in imo still the best form of protein.

One tablespoon of each of the 3 you mentioned will provide about 11-12 grams of protein each, I would mix them together with a healthy oil like extra virgin olive oil, or even half and half, or 1-2 tbs of heavy creme. Fat is needed for efficient utilization of protein.

These brands all are inexepensive and HQ, Optimum nutrition, Puritan's pride, anywhey, always look for the largest size available, as you always save more money when buying in bulk. DPS nutrition has excellent service and I personally have been ordering from for 5 years now. Soy protein is usually cheapest in price at your local health food store, all others are cheaper online.

I think you should avoid egg protein at all costs. Caesin hangs around for a while in the gut so i wouldn't recomend it with your condition. The best thing for you would be whey becuase it is so easily digested. You should also supplement with glutamine to help with the digestive tract. i hope you take my advice, i am a clinical nutritionist in the making so dont take it as BS. I know crohns is hard to deal with and i wish you the best

ive seen paediatric chrohns patients fed on a caesin only diet as a form of therapy (im pretty dure it was crohns) and they did well from it but i think that was their only source of food....having said that bigsteves advice makes sense too

does anyone know if crohns can be helped with HG, it helps to put weight on with other wasting disorders?

I myself suffer from this illness. I have had less flare ups simply by eliminating all sugar and processed/white carbs. In fact I have had my best results when on a very low carb (About 30 - 40 grams/day) diet with plenty of protein and healthy fats. Eat alot of fish and ground beef!! (Red meat is important for Crohn's patients because when we lose blood from flare ups, we can quickly become anemic!! You'll know when your hemoglobin is very low because you will feel dizzy as shit and very lethargic)

As far as protein powder, I find whey isolate protein digests the easiest. The kinds that have the protein enzymes in there are even better.

PM me if you have any questions I'll be glad to help share more info on things that help me get by. :)

Top Bottom