Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cortisone shot in shoulders, Effective? NEED HELP HERE

bravohero

Hey everyone,
I have been lifting and battling a case of bursitis ( my tendons in my shoulder get inflammed when I bench press or do shoulder work) and I went through 12 sessions of physical therapy and it helped but not enough and they want me to get a cortisone shot in each shoulder and they said I should feel much better. And if I stay on my rotator cuff exercises when it wears off I should be fine?? any thoughts?
The reason my shoulders are getting mad is because they said there is an imbalance between my rotator cuffs and deltoids so I have been doing all my exercises they gave, taking msm, stretching, icing, heating, ibuprofin 800's, you name it but its so slow in getting better. I haven't gone to failure in bench or shoulders in probably 4 months ( oh how I miss it) and I have 2 shows coming up in June and I am starting to lose width in my shoulders and a TON of upper pec size. you will laugh at this, a few months before I started having problems I did a set of 405 for 4 reps on flat bench and the other day I got a wicked burn on my third set of 65 x 20, jesus that is embarrasing.
ANyone had a cortisone shot? WIll it help? Any other ideas??

Cortisone is very effective teratment for inflammation. But remember if used to often it can actual weaken the the muscle in the area. ie. cortisol

A chiropractor?? I don't see really how he can help with tendons?? I will keep that in mind and I will ask the surgeon about it. The Orthopedic Surgeon Im seeing is supposed to be really good he works on the University Football team. I have an appointment already but i will definatly ask him about chiropractic.

Cortisone only masks the pain. And actually makes the ligament, tendons and muscles weaker. So why do it?

You should read about something called "prolotherapy". Havn't tried it myself, but I think that's really something for you.

BIGbouncer said:
Cortisone only masks the pain. And actually makes the ligament, tendons and muscles weaker. So why do it?

You should read about something called "prolotherapy". Havn't tried it myself, but I think that's really something for you.

Yep,The cortisone is more than likely a temporary fix.

I havent tried prolotherapy yet,but heard good things about it.

Heres a link on it, http://www.prolotherapy.com/

Cortisone is very effective teratment for inflammation. But remember if used to often it can actual weaken the the muscle in the area. ie. cortisol
While it may be effective at stopping the pain, it also stops the healing so if you seek to further supress and damage your shoulder by all means get it done. Inflamation is the bodies means of focusing healing in a given area and even ibu, aleve etc all interfere.

Before getting to carried away loot at some alternative solutions such as ART or prolotherapy, i just got my 3rd prolo treatment in my elbow shoulder and my problem is MUCH improved. For info on prolotherapy do a search or hit prolotherapy.com

Cortisone is a temporary fix. Its helps to stop the inflammation spiral, where an inflamed area gets irritated because it is inflamed, which make it easier to be irritated, which makes it more inflamed, which makes it easier, etc etc etc.

Too many shots like that and you do get long-term degradation of the area. Not good.

A very important part of any rehab program, is not only working the rotator cuff, but also strengthening the REAR shoulder area to balance the development of the front of the shoulders.

SO many bodybuilder types overlook this. They work chest, upper chest, front delts, side delts, etc etc etc, and have very poor rear delt development in comparison.

Stand sideways and look into a mirror. See all that mass on top and in front of the shoulder? Now look at the back .... not as much huh (for most guys at least).

This causes am out-of-balance condition which makes many people prone to shoulder problems.

You MUST target and work rear delts (and the whole rear shoulder area) in order to have long-term success.

No, I am NMOT talking your traps or your upper backs ...... do the sideways stance in a mirror, and for most guys, you will see the difference.

This is also why many guys get that slight "hunchback" look. They work the front like crazy, get ALL of those muscles pulling forward on their shoulders, but don’t work the rear.

I had a lot of shoulder problems a while ago, but I really worked with the cuff exercises and also working the rear shoulders, and I am doing MUCH better.

Top Bottom