Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Chondroitin and Prostate Cancer

Dante B.

The following text (as was given to me, by a friend) comes from the Health Science Institute; now whether their information is the truth in full, or the fruit of summarily executed judgment is something else to ponder. Something for ya'll to look at, any which way.

-----------------
When treatments collide

Last week I received an e-mail from Bob K., a member and close friend of HSI who shared some important information he learned while seeking treatment for prostate cancer. The original source of his information is Dr. Charles Myers, a PC survivor himself, and, for many years now, a leader in helping men beat this disease through integrative medicine.

The information may not be new to some of you, but it is a critical warning for anyone who is fighting cancer while also using natural treatments for osteoarthritis. And it's a great example of the HSI network at work - members helping members stay on top of the latest advances and warnings.

Common remedies pose uncommon threats

A few years ago Dr. Myers was treating a prostate cancer patient who was coming along well when he was examined in July. Yet, by October, the patient's cancer had, in Dr. Myers words, "exploded and spread widely." What had changed in so short a time? Unfortunately, Dr. Myers discovered that the explosive spread of cancer may have been caused by a common supplement - one that this man, and many others like him, take daily to treat their arthritis.

One month after the July examination, the patient had started taking chondroitin sulfate. Supplements containing chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine, two essential parts of cartilage, have been shown to slow and even reverse osteoarthritis, a degenerative joint disease. But while it may offer hope for arthritis patients, Dr. Myers found evidence that it was the chondroitin sulfate that made his patient's prostate cancer grow and spread to other sites.

Several research reports supported his hypothesis. In one, scientists compared samples of normal prostate tissue with cancerous prostate tissues, and found that the cancerous tissues contained a higher concentration of chondroitin. In another study, researchers found that cancerous prostate tumors with high concentrations of chondroitin sulfate in the surrounding tissue predicted a greater chance of a recurrence of the cancer after surgery.

According to Dr. Myers, chondroitin sulfate relieves joint pain when it forms a complex with the protein versican found in joint cartilage. But cancers that spread widely and metastasize, such as prostate cancer cells, also express versican on their surface. When the chondroitin supplement is introduced, it's loaded onto the surface of the cancer cells, facilitating their growth and spread to distant sites.

Fortunately, there is no evidence that glucosamine contributes to the spread of prostate cancer. Furthermore many studies have shown that it works independently, and chondroitin isn't necessary for a therapeutic affect. Therefore, Dr. Myers encourages osteoarthritis patients to feel comfortable using glucosamine supplements.

In addition to avoiding chondroitin sulfate, Dr. Myers also cautions prostate cancer patients against using flaxseed oil. Flaxseed oil contains alpha-linolenic acid which is believed to slow the growth of certain cancers, leading some physicians to recommend alpha-linolenic acid extracts to all cancer patients. However, Dr. Myers has found a number of different studies which conclude that flaxseed oil helps prostate cancer cells to grow and spread.

Natural doesn't automatically mean safe

As Bob told me, he was someone who always believed supplements could have a neutral affect, at worst. Unfortunately, this simply isn't true. Many of the compounds and herbs we rely on for treatment are very powerful natural medicines, with risks, side effects and concerns that can even mimic those of prescription drugs.

It's critical that you fully research the impact a single ingredient can have, particularly if you are being treated for any serious medical condition. And, always include natural supplements when discussing your list of medications with your physician.

Through the Members Alert and the e-Alert, we always include all known interactions and concerns whenever reporting on a specific treatment. We will also continue to keep you apprised of any possible problems that might arise from treatments that are counter-indicated for any medical conditions. And we encourage you to share your stories with us through e-mail, like Bob did, and with your fellow members through the forum on our website (www.hsibaltimore.com).

Also, if you or someone you know has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, I strongly recommend you visit Dr. Myers' web site (www.prostateforum.com). He has personal insight on the toll prostate cancer can take on you, and a remarkable track record for helping men battle and manage this disease.

To Your Good Health,

Jenny Thompson
Health Sciences Institute

Sources:
The Prostate Forum: Vol. 4, Number 6, June 1999, www.prostateforum.com
The Prostate Forum: Vol. 5, Number 2, Feb. 2000
Doctor's Guide: www.pslgroup.com

Last edited:
Shit, alot of people take it. People take so much shit without realizing that just because they sell it at GNC doesn't mean it's safe. I've been taking it for a year now, but now I'll just stick to glucosamine by itself.

Do you think it can cause prostate aggrivation. I ask because I do not have prostate cancer, at 21 yrs old, but seem to have some inflamation or something causing some discomfort. I take TONS of chondroitin and flax seed oil??????????

A/C

Do you think it can cause prostate aggrivation. I ask because I do not have prostate cancer, at 21 yrs old, but seem to have some inflamation or something causing some discomfort. I take TONS of chondroitin and flax seed oil??????????

A/C

Top Bottom