Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Chemistry Equipment Question

C

Citruscide

Say if I want to evaporate a liquid solution of "goodies" and collect the dried crystals? I've seen a piece of machinery that holds the liquid in the flask and puts it over a hot water bath, in a vacuum and rotates. This is supposed to bring the liquid to boiling in a vacuum and dry it at a low temperature...

what is this piece of equipment called... and if you really want to be a chum, point me in the direction of a supply company that might supply it.

C-ditty

rotary evaporator!

I lovvvveee it! This thing is very expensive, but you can check out places like ebay.....

for more information: www.buchi.com (min. price 2500 euro)

You also need a vacuum pump and a vacuum controller, as well as running water or some dry ice, depending on the model.

use your bathtub...

that's what IP does....Why don't you announce that your going to be cooking up some shit for the feds on the board to bust you dumbass!

Hmm... I'm actually putting together a research paper for a law journal... do you think I should put together the volume number and edition for the feds too? ;)

c-ditty

Just get yourself a heating mantle($100), a two-necked round bottom flask($20), and make yourself a vacuum. You can make on by finding some sort of attachment to fix on the second neck you can run a steady stream of water by, creating a vacuum.

myasshurts said:
Just get yourself a heating mantle($100), a two-necked round bottom flask($20), and make yourself a vacuum. You can make on by finding some sort of attachment to fix on the second neck you can run a steady stream of water by, creating a vacuum.
Certainly less expensive but also less controlled (heat wise) and not as efficient. The specific peace of equipment he is asking about is a rotary evaporator. See Sigmund Roid's reply above. That pretty much covers it.

If he works in a scientific field in the states, he can purchase one from companies like Fisher Scientific or VWR Scientific. I would go with a model that requires running water in the condenser rather than dry ice. Dry ice may be difficult to come by and a small submersible recirculating pump is about $75 and serves very well as a condenser water circulator. The pump goes into a plastic bucket with some ice-water. A self contained water aspirator vacuum pump will be needed as well. NOTE: not a high vacuum pump. That's way too much vacuum. Make sure it's a WATER ASPIRATOR pump. He can get the small submersible water circulating pump and the water aspirator vacuum pump and some vacuum tubing (also needed) from the same place (Fisher or VWR).

-Spidey

Top Bottom