Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cervical Cancer Vaccine: Life Saver or Teen Sex-Life Catalyst?

p0ink

Cervical Cancer Vaccine: Life Saver or Teen Sex-Life Catalyst?
playfuls.com | 1/31/07

A bill concerning the mandatory vaccination of US middle-aged schoolgirls against cervical cancer is considered controversial and some states even try to pull it back.

The vaccine is only produced by Merck Sharp & Dohme (Merck & Co) and is called Gardasil. This is the world’s first vaccine against cervical cancer and other diseases caused by certain types of the human papillomavirus (HPV).

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Gardasil for mass-prescription on June 8, 2006, after a lot of clinical tests. The tests also indicated that Gardasil’s administratin to girls should occur before they become sexually active.

According to statistics, 270,000 women died of cervical cancer worldwide in 2002, making this form of cancer one of the deadliest. In the US, cervical cancer killed around 3,700 women in 2002.

Some states (through their Senate representatives) are not convinced yet of the efficacy of the vaccine. Sen. Delores G. Kelley, a Baltimore County Democrat, said yesterday that she plans to pull a bill she herself sponsored that calls for all sixth-grade girls to be vaccinated by September 2008. She voiced the concern of some parents and educators that addressed her, after chickenpox and hepatitis B vaccinations failed to immunize students from grades six to nine.

The success of the vaccine in clinical tests and FDA’s approval has determined more than a dozen states to consider introducing the mandatory vaccination with Gardasil. Some medical experts and watchdog groups have questioned though Merck’s active lobbying, although the company’s involvement is not a surprise, since it is for the moment the only producer of the substance. The groups and the medical experts also imply that state mandates are premature.

Sen. Kelley said she was not aware of "those external politics."

"The timing is just not right," she said, adding that she will likely introduce the bill again next year. "I decided to do this at a time when things have settled down and we can approach this in a more deliberative manner."

Gardasil is given in 3 injections over 6 months, namely at enrollment, and 2 and 6 months later. Gardasil protects against four subtypes that together account for 70 per cent of all cervical cancers and 90 per cent of genital warts. It has been shown to be more than 95-per-cent effective.

Some conservatives and parental-rights groups say such a requirement would encourage premarital sex and interfere with the way they raise their children. Some fear the HPV vaccine’s protection would boost young girls’ appetite for an early sexual life.

For other critics, it is the notion that their youthful innocence could be violated, during the course of three shots over six months, by a medical practitioner's potential sex-education lecture.

But Merck said its lobbying efforts have been aboveboard.

Merck has funneled money through Women in Government, an advocacy group of female state legislators.

An official from Merck’s vaccine division sits on Women in Government's business council, and many of the bills around the country have been introduced by members of Women in Government.

"Cervical cancer is of particular interest to our members because it represents the first opportunity that we have to actually eliminate a cancer," said Susan Crosby, president of Women in Government.

Merck spokeswoman Janet Skidmore would not say how much the company is spending on lobbyists or how much it has donated to Women in Government. Crosby also declined to specify how much the drug company gave.

But Skidmore said: "We disclosed the fact that we provide funding to this organization. We're not in any way trying to obscure that."

The New Jersey drug company, which is building a vaccine plant in Durham, could generate billions in sales if Gardasil -- at $360 for the three-shot regimen -- were made mandatory across the country. Most insurance companies now cover the vaccine, which has been shown to have no serious side effects.

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization says girls and women aged 14 to 26 should also be vaccinated against human papillomavirus (HPV) even if they are already sexually active, because they may not yet have been infected.

Rep. Debbie Clary, a Cleveland County Republican, has no doubt that a North Carolina legislator eventually will introduce a bill requiring HPV vaccination. "I don't know if it will be this year or the next, but I'm certain it will be discussed," she said. "It's obvious that Merck is pushing for mandates."

"I think it will be a tremendous debate, because you're treading on territory that is a parent's decision," Clary said.

On June 29, Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommended that Gardasil be placed on the childhood immunization schedule at the 11 to 12 year old visit. They also recommended that the vaccine be included in the federal Vaccines for Children Program, which would provide the vaccines free of charge to children under the age of 18 who are uninsured. Merck & Co., Inc. is a global research-driven pharmaceutical company. Established in 1891, Merck discovers, develops, manufactures and markets vaccines and medicines to address unmet medical needs.

i'm not against the vaccine, but i am against the government REQUIRING it. if a parent doesnt want their child to have it, that is their right to do so.

fucking conservatives! Now, a majority of the population has or has had HPV. In women, this has caused death due to cervical cancer. Now we have a fucking vaccine and they want to pull back the vaccine because they are worried that teenagers will screw more. You tell me, would you rather your teen DIE of cervical cancer one of these days because she had a little romp with her boyfriend just like ALL of us did when we were teens? Yeah, most of the politicians are men, so I guess cervical cancer isn't high on their agendas.

Damn, that pisses me off.

p0ink said:
i'm not against the vaccine, but i am against the government REQUIRING it. if a parent doesnt want their child to have it, that is their right to do so.
BLEH!

i dunno maing
but i am in favour of government mandated vaccinations.
for the common good, plus it pisses off the idelogical tools

who said anything about pulling the vaccine? the argument here is about whether or not the government should require every girl in the US to have the vaccine.

some families can't afford a $500 shot series.

p0ink said:
who said anything about pulling the vaccine? the argument here is about whether or not the government should require every girl in the US to have the vaccine.

those who can't afford it, there is medicaid.

p0ink said:

Well, we're required to take other vaccines, so why not this one?

And I fail to see the sex debate here... how is this a catalyst for one's sex life?

:cow:

p0ink said:

Aren't childhood shots required? Polio, MMR, and all that? So whats the fucking difference? Stupid fucking concervatives!

oh, so everyone else should be forced to pay for someone else's kid? sure thing, comrade.

but seriously, how many females worry about cervical cancer when they think of std's? really...lets be honest.

i'm not against anyone getting the vaccine, i am just against the government getting involved in every possible aspect of our lives.

Top Bottom