Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can you convert IU's into ml's?

SAF

Lets say you have 18iu, can you convert this into ml? Just wondering because the concept of IU has always confused me. :)

SAF

IU'S are means of measuring concentration that is why you you will see for example 16iu's per ml etc.

You will need to see what context the 18iu's are in. By that I mean if you have a vial with GH in that is 36iu's per ml then it stans to reason that 18iu's would mean that you have .5ml of the soultion.

However there is no direct correlation or conversion between IU's and ml's

Purple is right. It sounds like your doing serostim, so the ML = the amount of sterile water you use to mix it. If you are trying to use a specific # of IU's just devide it. IE 1/2 cc = 9IU's 1/4 = 4 1/2 IU's.

1mg of substance equals 3IU. So serostim 6mg is 18IU. Suppose I want to do 3IU for 6 days. So now add 6 ml of sterile water to the 18IU vial. Your concentration is now 18IU per 6ml or 3IU per ml. Now, you inject 1ml (which contains 3IU). This is why you guys had to learn algebra.

"1mg of substance equals 3IU. "

An IU has NO milligram, microgram, gram, etc. equality. An IU is an International Unit, which is a measurement of ACTIVITY, not true weight/mass. An IU is determined by an international commitee of scientists who wish to standardize biological compounds, such as vitamins (A, E, D, etc.), hormones (insulin, GH, etc.).

So in the case of GH, 1mg DOES equal 3IU's, but this is not the case for any other compound, such as beta-carotene, which is something like 6.25mg equals 1,000 IU's.

Also, IU's cannot be equated to a volume, since this is arbitrary. The IU's/ml is determined by the person who makes the solution.

DrJMW said:
1mg of substance equals 3IU. So serostim 6mg is 18IU. Suppose I want to do 3IU for 6 days. So now add 6 ml of sterile water to the 18IU vial. Your concentration is now 18IU per 6ml or 3IU per ml. Now, you inject 1ml (which contains 3IU). This is why you guys had to learn algebra.

Hey Doc, since you're the one that stayed in school the longest;)

What if I put the 6ml in the vial but want to use a slin pin to inject. How many IU per slin pin unit would I be talking about?

hey drjmw, i was one of those kids in school who would ask the teacher when i would ever need to know algebra. if i only knew then what i know now. . . hee hee.

one thing to note. . . 1 IU will equal different MG's depending on how you mix in the case of gh. you can make it so 1IU will equal 1mg or 3mg or whatever you choose.

cockdezl said:
"1mg of substance equals 3IU. "

An IU has NO milligram, microgram, gram, etc. equality. An IU is an International Unit, which is a measurement of ACTIVITY, not true weight/mass. An IU is determined by an international commitee of scientists who wish to standardize biological compounds, such as vitamins (A, E, D, etc.), hormones (insulin, GH, etc.).

So in the case of GH, 1mg DOES equal 3IU's, but this is not the case for any other compound, such as beta-carotene, which is something like 6.25mg equals 1,000 IU's.

Also, IU's cannot be equated to a volume, since this is arbitrary. The IU's/ml is determined by the person who makes the solution.

Cockdezl is correct here... I think the confusion is coming in because some here are using Serostim as the example. In the case of Serorstim, if it is reconstituted with the provided vial of water, your solution will be 18IU, in the slightly more than 1ml solution.
In the case of Serostim, the 1ml of reconstituted GH equals 100IU's on the standard insulin needle. So if you divide the 18IU (total volume of the reconstituted GH in one vial) by 100 (as determined on an insulin needle), it would take 5.5IU (on an insulin needle) to equate to 1IU of reconstituted GH. Hopefully this makes sense???

When I stated that 1mg=3IU, I was on topic for HGH. Now if you take 18IU and dilute it with 10ml (cc), then you will get 1.8IU per ml (cc). So, for a 'slin syringe/needle (28g, 1/2", 1cc), you would get 1.8IU.

Top Bottom