Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Black Holes to merge.

sublime35

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060406/sc_space/blackholesboundtomerge

Two supermassive black holes have been found to be spiraling toward a merger, astronomers said today.

The collision will create a single super-supermassive black hole capable of swallowing material equal to billions of stars, the researchers said.

Mergers between black holes are thought to be one way they grow. A handful of similar setups have been observed in which black holes appear inevitably on a merger course. This pair, at the center of a galaxy cluster called Abell 400, was known to be close but their fate hadn't been determined.

"The question was: Is this pair of supermassive black holes an old married couple, or just strangers passing in the night?" said Craig Sarazin of the University of Virginia. "We now know that they are coupled, but more like the mating of black widow spiders. One of the black holes invariably will eat the other."

Black holes can't be seen. Their presence is inferred by their gravitational effects on their surroundings and by radiation from near the black hole, where a feeding frenzy superheats gas so much that it emits X-rays.

Determining that these two black holes will collide involved other indirect evidence, drawing data from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory.

Each of the black holes in Abell 400 is ejecting a pair of oppositely directed jets of superheated gas called plasma. The movement of the black holes through gas in the galaxy cluster causes the plasma jets to be swept backward.

"The jets are similar to the contrails produced by planes as they fly through the air on Earth," Sarazin said. "From the contrails, we can determine where the planes have been, and in which direction they are going. What we see is that the jets are bent together and intertwined, which indicates that the pair of supermassive black holes are bound and moving together."

When the objects merge several million years from now, Einstein's theory of relativity predicts they will emit a burst of gravitational waves. Similar mergers could soon be detected by NASA's planned Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA).

The results will be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics.

Study Supports Idea that Giant Black Holes Merge
Pair of Supermassive Black Holes Inhabit Same Galaxy, Destined to Collide
When Black Holes Merge

Visit SPACE.com for more space-related news including videos, launch coverage and interactive experiences. Explore our huge collection of Image Galleries, view our Image of the Day and Amazing Images. Follow the latest developments in the search for life in our universe in our SETI: Search for Life section. Join the community, sign up for our free daily email newsletter, listen to our Podcasts, and check out our RSS feeds today!

I so want an internship at the Chandra X-ray Observatory, lol.

Interesting article, and it leads to many other postulates as to the nature of entropy and the eventual fate of the universe.

:cow:

sublime35 said:
The collision will create a single super-supermassive black hole capable of swallowing material equal to billions of stars, the researchers said.

I'd always wondered if this were possible: Suppose you have a massively massive black hole. Say several aggregated black holes had found each other for a meet up. We see here that sort sort of doomsday scenario is possible for stellar matter. As it states in the article, when they actually merge, relativity theory predicts they will emit gravitational waves. Does anyone suppose that a gravitational disruption could occur that would distort space-time, perhaps giving us a glimpse of life on the inside of a black hole. At the extreme, would it be possible to tear a hole in the fabric of our universe, creating a portal to another one, or causing some other phenomena?

I'd always wondered if this were possible: Suppose you have a massively massive black hole. Say several aggregated black holes had found each other for a meet up. We see here that sort sort of doomsday scenario is possible for stellar matter. As it states in the article, when they actually merge, relativity theory predicts they will emit gravitational waves. Does anyone suppose that a gravitational disruption could occur that would distort space-time, perhaps giving us a glimpse of life on the inside of a black hole. At the extreme, would it be possible to tear a hole in the fabric of our universe, creating a portal to another one, or causing some other phenomena?

I think samoth has been over this.

Those are often the only answers left to a non-scientist like myself. To me it means we don't really know the answer.

personally bro, i suck at math, so im waiting for some math guys and physics guys to come here and duke it out. lol, i wanna learn from them.

Top Bottom