Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Androgel questions for women. Anyone?

kbarr

I have just started taking 1 pump (4 pumps is equal to 5 mg) of androgel. I am a 45yr old mother of 5. I mention the 5 kids because it's hard keeping up with kids ages 5-16 with the extra weight. Does anyone have any experience either theirs or a friend's you could share with me? I am a newbie here. I had 4 facet injections in my back joints and 2 depo-medrol(cortisone) last summer and they put 40lbs on. I was a size 4 and have slowly crawled up to a size 12. My eating habits have always been high protein, low carbs...but the weight came on still. I mentioned this fact to my ob/gyn who is a bodybuilder and pretty liberal. She told me I might benefit from androgel daily to strengthen my back. She said she has prescribed it to women for low-libido, but I would be her first to prescribe it based on it's bone-density benefits. She wants me to try it for 12 weeks and see if it helps both with back strength and weight loss. I also started a walking, cardio and some weights using my Nautilus gym at home(so no free weights) that she has recommended. I don't want to put weight on, but I can't find anything on the internet except "females shouldn't take androgel". I'm going to try her advice, so that doesn't help. I was surprised I couldn't find anyone's experience just internet searching. I want someone's honest opinion, experience or advice and hope to find it here.

I was hoping for something???? Anyone? This is my second day on it and I amazed at the difference in my sweat. I walked 8 miles this morning and my daughter wouldn't even go near me. Is this common? I know walking 8 miles is nothing compared to some of you other ladies pics here...hope to be where you are someday if you are one of them.

Possibly try and move the post to the steriod discussion forum or another one where men are more apt to read. Some of the guys in this forum give great advice.

I am sorry but I have no experience with the product you mentioned. Be patient someone will chime in if they can help you.

Oh yes.... AND WELCOME!!!

Are you pre or post menopausal?

Anyway, cudos to your OB/GYN for having a pair. Okay, here's the thing ... increasing your androgens WILL almost definitely help with aches and pains, bone density and general sense of emotional wellbeing (eventually) and increased muscle mass but you are probably going to have at least SOME side effects and it probably will NOT help you lose weight while you're on the gel (however, if you lift heavy you have a much, much better -- and easier -- chance of changing your body composition). The increased muscle mass can help you burn OFF the fat (eventually) but losing weight while you're actually using the gel might be tough. To start with, you're probably going to find you're unusually hungry, particularly if you step up your resitance training. If your goal is to feel better, be stronger, have strength to hold your spine sturdy, then don't focus on the short term, think big picture.

Also, be aware there's a break in when you start taking the androgen supplement regularly, just an FYI, your mood can flash over instantly and you can become very short tempered. It's nothing you can't live with ... same goes for sex drive.

Your voice may get lower. That's permanent. Is that a side effect that's going to bother you? (you're not going to become a basso profundo, just maybe a shade deeper).

You might have some hair thinning (look at your older female relatives, if thin hair/wearing a wig is sort of common for the post menopausal women of your family then you can expect to lose some hair). I'd say use Nizoral, that seems to be the best help, if you think hair loss may be a problem, you should be able to get your doc to write you a script for the prescription strength Nizoral (blanking on the name currently).

IMO, if you have a screwed up back/bad joints, particularly if it's impacting your quality of life, I say go for it. Quality of life is what matters most and I have NO regrets about cycling test periodically. I can function whereas I think conventional medicine would have had me in a wheelchair on pain killers by now. No, I don't have the body I'd like but it's a body that works, and a body that is strong. I can lift, I can bend, sometimes just being able to tie your own shoes is worth something, you know?

BTW, I think one pump a day may be a pinch high if you haven't gone through menopause, I'd say one pump M/W/F.

That should cover the basics, and welcome to the board!!! :qt:

RachelEFC said:
Possibly try and move the post to the steriod discussion forum or another one where men are more apt to read. Some of the guys in this forum give great advice.
They do, but when it comes to women and test. they get very nervous.

And when it comes to women OVER 35 and AAS in general, they always send them back here.

RachelEFC said:

It's a completely different thing with women and steroids, most men don't have the foggiest about it.

Far too many women have had terrible sides and gotten a bit messed up as their BFs think that what works for them will work for their GFs.

kbarr said:
I have just started taking 1 pump (4 pumps is equal to 5 mg) of androgel. I am a 45yr old mother of 5. I mention the 5 kids because it's hard keeping up with kids ages 5-16 with the extra weight. Does anyone have any experience either theirs or a friend's you could share with me? I am a newbie here. I had 4 facet injections in my back joints and 2 depo-medrol(cortisone) last summer and they put 40lbs on. I was a size 4 and have slowly crawled up to a size 12. My eating habits have always been high protein, low carbs...but the weight came on still. I mentioned this fact to my ob/gyn who is a bodybuilder and pretty liberal. She told me I might benefit from androgel daily to strengthen my back. She said she has prescribed it to women for low-libido, but I would be her first to prescribe it based on it's bone-density benefits. She wants me to try it for 12 weeks and see if it helps both with back strength and weight loss. I also started a walking, cardio and some weights using my Nautilus gym at home(so no free weights) that she has recommended. I don't want to put weight on, but I can't find anything on the internet except "females shouldn't take androgel". I'm going to try her advice, so that doesn't help. I was surprised I couldn't find anyone's experience just internet searching. I want someone's honest opinion, experience or advice and hope to find it here.

Hi and welcome,

I wanted to address this point.

This is what naturally happens to everyone, not just women at this age if they don't work to keep muscle.

From the age of 30, we start to lose muscle mass. Muscle, besides the brain, is the most metabolically demanding tissue in the body, it uses a lot of calories, so when we lose muscle, the amount of calories that would have maintained our weight before, now becomes too much.

Excess calories are stored as fat.

What most people do is some silly diet that wastes most muscle.

Metabolic rate decreases even more, more fat gain, vicious cycle. Repeat.

The weight training is going to play a big part in getting the body you want.

I will dig out a few threads that have some info related to this.

kbarr said:
I was hoping for something???? Anyone? This is my second day on it and I amazed at the difference in my sweat. I walked 8 miles this morning and my daughter wouldn't even go near me. Is this common? I know walking 8 miles is nothing compared to some of you other ladies pics here...hope to be where you are someday if you are one of them.

Found a bit of reading for you, especially check out page two on this thread about how weight training can help women avoid the 'middle-aged spread'.

I also want to address your point about walking. In all honesty, except for the fact that I am getting ready for a comp, I would do minimal to no cardio, except for the walking I have to do to get around.

I haven't been doing all that much cardio either for the last 6 months either.

You don't really HAVE to when you get this nice ratio of fat to muscle, SO easy to maintain just with weight training.

Cardio is great for cardio vascular health and for burning fat, but it is not going to give women the shape they want in their legs, butts, arms.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/w...tone-but-i-don-t-want-get-too-big-583600.html

Top Bottom