Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squatting Technique

A

Anthrax Invasion

I know that squatting can be done in a variety of ways. Rippetoe teaches it as a generic power squat, pretty wide-stanced, bar low on the back, forward lean.

The thing is, the more forward one leans, the greater shearing force is placed on the vertabrae. Would squatting with a closer stance, staying more upright, be better in terms of spinal safety, then? I have three bulging discs in L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1 now. I want to avoid a recurring injury once I begin training again.

Arioch said the following:

"At only 90 degrees of knee flexion, the sacrum is still tilted backward, which inhibits proper firing of the erectors and gluteus maximus and minimus. Going through a full range of motion completes the rotation of the sacrum and allows maximal muscular recruitment."

(http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5124176&postcount=825)

When I sink really deep on squats (I'm 5'11.5", have easily broken parallel since I started squatting - it came natural to me) I feel as if my lower back is "tucking under". Is this just the rotation of the sacrum he's speaking of? Or is any sort've shifting around the tailbone/lower back a bad thing when squatting?

if you have 3 bulging discs I wouldn't 'even be squatting actually. if you must squat though go for fronts for sure.

I never said I was squatting. I'm talking about prior squatting sessions which have me wondering if my form was incorrect. I took to that exercise like water when I started years ago, though. It's always been my favorite. I don't think I was doing it wrong. Just looking for information regarding the sacral rotation and form critiques. I'm hoping Glenn will see this.

Anyone wanna heal my back for X-mas? My birthday is soon after, too. You can make it a combination present!

I know what you're describing. The tailbone area kind of rolls underneath as the pelvis changes position in the bottom. Arioch says it's normal rotation and maybe he's right, but it sort of means you're losing your arch some so I have a hard time understanding how that can be a "good" thing.

If you want to fix it, some good advice I read (and implemented) is to widen your stance a bit, focus on keeping arched and tight throughout the ROM, and try to basically "sit on your nuts." Crass but it works. LoL

Oh, thanks for the help, but I already knew how to stop it. I usually squat pretty narrow. I widened my stance, as per Rippetoe, and pushed my knees out more. The wider stance stopped me from sinking as deep. I still wonder if I should do it a bit more narrow, though. If that tucking of the pelvis isn't harmful, I'd rather do that. I like the feel of sinking that much, as opposed to going wider as Rip recommends.

I'd love to hear from some more experienced squatters on this (i.e., MC, Glenn, CCJ). Too bad I can't get a video up. I'd just squat with the bar to show both forms I use when squatting, and let someone with a lot of knowledge critique me.

Thanks for the help though, man.

the butt shouldn't roll under, it means poor flexibility, form and firing issues

mine used to tuck, but it doesn't anymore. Guess what happned between before and now? I stretched a whole lot! :)
Plus I learned proper form and control

coolcolj said:
the butt shouldn't roll under, it means poor flexibility, form and firing issues

mine used to tuck, but it doesn't anymore. Guess what happned between before and now? I stretched a whole lot! :)
Plus I learned proper form and control

What stretches should I work on? I believe you mentioned bulgarian split squat stretches awhile back. Those, coupled with some generic hamstring, glute and IT stuff should do the trick, right?

the above mentioned points are correct

rotation of the tailbone "under the body" is a BAD BAD BAD thing. If you aren't going insanely low, then rotation of the pelvis underneath is a hammie tightness thingee, which I have had tons of problems with in the past. You must stretch those hammies out or your lower back is phuxored bigtime.

Top Bottom