Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is Smith Machine bench less Productive Than regular Barbell Bench?

scout420

I was curious since I work out on my own without a spotter.Would it be bad to say do Smith machine Bench over regular bench, now I know the weight differencial is going to be that you'll need more weight to get the same effect but with that would it be just as bennefical to use the Smith machiune Bench

Yes, it is less productive. Less front-to-back balance is required, recruiting less lat muscle, and shoulder rotation is suspended in a sometimes abnormal plane. Controlling the bar adds to the productiveness of the workout. In a Smith, all you work is down and up.

I agree with everything spatts said, I bench free weight without a spotter all the time, it's never a problem as I rarely trainto absolute failure on my first exercise anyway.

Going to failure without a spot isn't always horrible. You just learn to roll the bar down your chest a lot...or find someone in the gym to watch you...

B True

b fold the truth said:
Going to failure without a spot isn't always horrible. You just learn to roll the bar down your chest a lot...or find someone in the gym to watch you...

B True

True. I've done it loads of times. But there's a couple dozen dumbasses who succeed in killing themselves benching each year, so I wouldn't recommend it. Somehow the bar rolls the other way I guess.

b fold the truth said:

B True

My secret is to use the clips with the screw going in the side rather than the springs. Just reach over, loosen it, dump one side, and you're home free.

Yeah.. I'm an expert. :lmao:

Drag a flat bench over into the power rack, and bench right. If your gym doesn't have a power rack...find another gym.

:lmao:

bishonen said:

My secret is to use the clips with the screw going in the side rather than the springs. Just reach over, loosen it, dump one side, and you're home free.

Yeah.. I'm an expert. :lmao:

LOL. That must create quite a racket.

PS Stay away from Smith machines.

JC

have no shame in asking for a spotter.

I have yet to find a workout partner who is as intense and punctual as I so I just ask any old guy in the gym for a spot when I bench. Hell I would even ask a woman if there were no guys around. It's not rocket science. All I need is like 5-10# of extra pressure to get that last rep up.

JC

Top Bottom