Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

seated calf raises

jesus 2

whenever i do seated calf raises, my arch of my foot will fail before my calves do. i'm not sure exactly if the arch is a muscle or tendon or what, but it gets sore from doing seated calf raises. this doesn't happen with standing calf raises though. anyone know what might cause this?

I know what you mean.

I don't bother with a 'full' range of motion anymore with calves. I found it did nothing for them. Now, i just take my foot down parallel to the floor and concentrate on the contration at the top and it has made a difference.

i think seated calf raises are a waste of time cuz i find i get good contractions in my hammys when i go standing calf raises

It's quite possible you may have collapsed arches, I have a collapsed arch in my right foot, it fatigues faster. I find shoes with excellent arch support help. Weird shit, how the hell does one arch collapse and not the other?

That used to happen to me a lot! I have flat feet and i think that had something to do with it... or at least aggrivated the underlying problem. For me, the problem was that i didn't stretch out effectively. See, i used to stretch my gastrocnemius with a strait leg, which was good for standing calve raises. However, with a seated calve raise, you put a lot of slack into the gastroc mulsce [because its origin is above the knee]. This puts the emphasis onto the soleus muscle to do a lot of the work [because it's origin is below the knee and therefore is not affected by the bend in the knee].

My problem was that i never used to stretch this muscle. You may be ignoring this stetch also. What you gotta do, is do a regular calve stretch, but bend the knee instead of keeping the leg strait. This really stetches the soleus muscle. Be sure to hold the stretch for a while... and dont forget to do a regular calve stretch also.

Anyway, this helped me a lot with my pain!

-Fatty

Lee said:
i think seated calf raises are a waste of time cuz i find i get good contractions in my hammys when i go standing calf raises

I wouldn't say that they are useless. The reason I say that is because, I used to only do standing calf raises for several months. Then one day, I tried seated. I couldn't walk for days! I did the same reps and and sets as I did for standing.

So, being the genius that I am, I decided to do only seated calf raises for a few months. Low and behold, when I tried standing raises agaun a few months later, I was crippled for several days once more.

My point being, for me at least, they work the calves differently in some way. And I also believe in hitting a muscle or muscle group from multiple directions or in as many different ways as possible.

Hope that made some sense....:D

Joker

strider364 said:
It's quite possible you may have collapsed arches, I have a collapsed arch in my right foot, it fatigues faster. I find shoes with excellent arch support help. Weird shit, how the hell does one arch collapse and not the other?

actually, both my feet have very low arches (almost flat) and shoes with arch support make my feet hurt...:confused:

i don't know if this makes a difference

Top Bottom