Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

push, pull, shoulders/legs..advice pls

emmerz24

Long time lurker first time poster. Really impressed with all the great ppl and great info on this site. Im doing a push, pull, legs/shoulder routine. every exercise i do is of three sets and 6-10 reps which is usually to failure. routine consists of

push
Decline db press
incline db press
flat db press
Tri press down
Over head tri extension with rope
tri fly's

Pull
lat pull down
Rows
tbar
Bb preacher curls
machine preacher curles
incline/standing db curls

Legs/shoulder
Shoulder press
Front raise
Shrugs
Squats/deadlift
Seated leg press
Calf raises
I usually go Monday Wednesday Friday. I would like to go Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday so I could really use some fine tuning and some ideas of how to incorporate excersies to make it 4 workouts per week and any advice on how to set up a better routine.
Thx in advance

Can you explain why you want to do shoulders outside of push day? I would suggest just putting it in with your push day and possibly eliminating some of those db presses. I'm guessing you didn't put Barbell Bench because you usually workout without a spotter, but if that isn't the case then you definitely need it in there. So push day might look more like: Barbell Bench, Incline DB bench, Push press or military, lateral db raise, rope pushdown, (and db flyes if you're into that sort of thing). Legs day looks good, but personally, I would ditch the leg press unless you're just going for exhaustion. And if you're seriously deadlifting a day that you're also seriously squatting, then your legs shouldn't be able to do much more. I would suggest you consider SLDLs in place of traditional deadlifts to balance out your hamstring work a little better and not blow all your energy on two exercises.

Lastly, if your gym has it, I would add seated calf raises to your leg day. Standing calf raises alone have never seemed like enough. Good luck with all this! Hope I helped.

It deffinatly does make sense to do shoulders on a push day. But after doing my chest and my tri's im pretty much spent. I usually workout by myself and that's y i use db for my chest exercises. Plus i thought it was more beneficial to use db's cause you have to use stabelizer muscles but I think I will start using the bb on some of the chest exercises. On legs days I rotatat evey other week I'll switch from dead lifts to squats just for some variety. Thx for your input it has been very helpful. Any other suggestions

do chest and shoulders back to back. then worry about tri's. leg days are crucial and should be dedicated to the same day.. don't be one of those BB.com guys who is huge upper body and has chicken legs!! gotta represent EF at your gym bro.

there is a great routine i put together in my signature for this 3 day split.. check it out.

All great advice and I really like your spilt setup Steve. Any opinions on the exercises im doing or any suggestions for new ones

It all depends how long you spend in the gym and whether you can split your day up a bit. It's mainly about variety...if I did upper and lower chest one week, I would work outer,centre chest the following week.
Your muscles are very clever and they will adapt to the stresses you put your body under very quickly. I vary my exercises not just with weight progression but rep speed.

If I was doing a chest press I would go for power on the concentric (pushing part) and do a quick rep of maybe 1-2 seconds, but then go for very slow eccentric so lowering the weight will take me 5-6 seconds. You can really feel that burn in your muscles. Maybe the following week I will do the opposite, or focus on quicker reps with more weight etc.

I split my day up, I do 45mins-1 hour cardio in the morning and focus on weights in the evening 4-5 hours before bed. Hope this helps

Top Bottom