Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My left wrist hurts while training

Coldshot

I'nve been getting a pain around my wrist whenever i train. Sometimes it hurts so bad till i cant grip the bar anymore. This really sucks cos i cant do wrist curls.

Whats the best remedy for a sore wrist? Should i take some time off?

Thanks

its hard, but try to work around it the best you can...or just take time off altogether. About a month ago my shoulder would have terrible pains when doing flat benching or dips, i did inclines for a month and stayed off the dips, and it feels alright now...but im gonna give it a few more weeks to be sure.

I have had a battle with my wrists also. Probably from 10 years of gymnastics. You can take a break, or lighten your lifting till it feels comfortable. Are they swelling? If so (now I'm no doctor) you can try Ibuprofen (Motrin). I was given advice by a real MD, (for a prior injury) and he said 800mg, 4xs a day won't hurt you. It works as an anti-inflamatory, so it doesn't just "mask" the pain. There are also wrist supports that helped me a great deal. One more thing you can do is use an elastic type material..pantyhose, rubber tubing, ect...to work your wrists before you train. Grab the middle of whatever you decide to use, hold the ends with opposite hand, and to wrist curls (both ways), and hand rotations. It will take awhile before the pain stops, but I done everything I've said for my wrists, shoulder, and knees, and had complete success. Hope I've helped...Good luck!!

Them wrists need both rest for a while AND to be worked.

rested by replacing potential strenious exercises, like
- barbell curl with straight bar : > ez barbell curl
- pushdown with straight bar: V-shape bar
- heavy dips, heavy benchpresses, do pre-exhaustion sets for a while, this will lower the weight you will be able to bench (hence less joint stress) while still stimulating the pec.

REST is one thing but need to strengthen them as well to minimize future annoyance, Heavy wrist curls generate a lot of torque forces on the joint , so these are out of the question, until they are up to par again, but here is a nice routine that builds mass and strength on the forearm without too much torque:

- hammer curl with triceps bar
12-10-8-6 (last set triple drop set)
- reverse barbell curl
12-10-8-6 (last set triple drop set)
- reverse cable curl
16-12-10-8 (last set triple drop set)
- reverse wrist curls with the EZ bar 4 * 12
- wrist rolling device (or improvised with rope and some weight)
3 sets of 3 minutes...

Since your wrist is a little sore, you might start this routine the first session with sets of 4 * 15 and the second session with sets of 4 * 12 to allow gradual increase in resistance without inflammatory reaction.

Also i found that swimming does really a lot for the endurance muscles of your wrist (especially chest crawling interval sprints) since you move the water with your hands. doesn't build size, but it really helps to recover them to baseline.

My left wrist is screwed from getting destroyed in an arm wrestling contest almost a year ago. My right wrist is also messed up from using the wrong grip on upright rows a couple of months ago. I doubt they'll be 100% again any time soon because I don't want to be out of the gym for anything longer than a week or so. I have to take time off every now and then when I mess one of them up from doing skull crushers, dips, db laterals, etc. too heavy. I had been using a wrist brace, but I just got a pair of wrist wraps in the mail today. I'm hoping this will help me out. It can hurt just picking up plates sometimes.

supersizeme said:
I had been using a wrist brace, but I just got a pair of wrist wraps in the mail today.

heh...glad to see you're paying attention. Let me know how they work for you.

dude, i'm not a doctor, but i've had similar wrist problems before. usually it happens when i'm not careful about moving the weights around. sometimes i'll move my wrist to quickly while holding a weight and then my wrist is messed up for a few weeks.

for me, eventually it just goes away. when i have the problem, i still lift with the pain, but i go easy. as soon as an exercise causes it to hurt a lot, i stop. if taking a week or so off doesn't bother you, that's another option.

thanks for all the advice guys. Appreciate it. I'm taking a week off to let them recover. I've been getting this numbing soreness around the wrist. Doesnt feel good at all. Its really painful when i do military presses.

Hope it gets better or its off to the doc. Might be a hairline fracture?

Top Bottom