Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Keeping my same routine, but changing reps every 6 weeks?

Xray123

I want to know if I should be change my exercises every 6 weeks or just the rep range for optimal growth?

I haven't changed my exercise routine, but changed the rep range from 8-10 reps to 16-20 reps.

Is this is enough to keep my muscles to keep growing or should I change the exercise i do to.

Xray123, there's too much left out of the equation for me to really help you fully here. I recommend changing your routine every 4 weeks or so, exercises and rep ranges.

Have a goal in mind on what you are training for. To get big, you want to avoid a lot of sets in the 15-20 range as that's going to be more for muscular endurance than strength/mass. Stay in anywhere from 6-12 rep ranges with focus on the eccentric (negative) part of the movement. Nutrition MUST be on point for you to grow as well, obviously.

You can always pm me on here or hit me up on shutlerfitness.com

Hope this helps!

I agree. I usually switch between barbell and dumbbell each week. Then after a few weeks/2 months, I change up my routine completely. Different exercises, different days of the week, almost everything is different.

Sent from my iPhone using EliteFitness.com - Anabolic Steroids, Bodybuilding

If you want to get big, gains are made in the kitchen. Lift heavy like he said 6-12 reps, or even heavier like 4-8 or 4-6 and eat like a fucking horse. Depending on your body's metabolic rate and or body composition, you either need to eat strict and clean, clean, or semi-clean. I my self eat anything and everything. I put on a bit of a belly after 20 new lbs (granted it's not pure lean mass), but that's mainly a bunch of bloating from all the food and drink. If I take a rest week from all the eating, the bloat goes away.

You don't need to change anything up unless you stop gaining; just eat and train. If you are eating the same amount every day doing the same routine you have been doing and you stop gaining, then maybe you need to switch it up. But until that happens, why stop while it works? Everyone is different. You can also limit gains by switching up your routine too often. Try heavy sets for 6-8 weeks of 4-8 reps or 6-8 reps with a 2-3 min rest time and eat like a horse, see what you gain. Or try something with a higher intensity with 8-10 or 10-12 reps and like 45-1:30 sec rest time eat like a horse and see what you gain, and go from there. The hardest part (at least for me) is the eating. The training is the enjoyable part.

All I can say is if you are lifting and not putting on weight, it's not because your training is wrong or bad it's because you are not eating enough. I let the myth about ectomorphs haunt me for years, truth is I was never dedicating my self enough to achieve the goal I wanted. The best thing to do is set mini-goals, while having ONE ULTIMATE goal. The mini-goals are there to keep you motivated to achieve that one ultimate goal you have in mind. If you want to be 10 lbs heavier, set a goal and a reasonable time-frame, not something unrealistic like 2 days to be 10 lbs heavier, but maybe 2 weeks or 1 month.

I like changing things around every 8-12 weeks. I feel like it keeps you going.

But when I say change around, I mean swap out an exercise with something similar. Although I never do that with basics like bench or dead lifts. Those are core.

That said, I feel that going to 16 reps is ridiculous if your goal is either building mass, or muscle, or hopefully both.

I rotate between 3-5 rep periods to 6-8 rep periods and then maybe a week at 10 reps. 10 reps is not a zone I like to live in long because it's not good for strength gains. But that's just with core exercises like bench. There are plenty of secondary exercises, dumbbells and the like that I go to 12 reps with.

Top Bottom