Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Increasing Squat Poundages: Swains Methods

louden_swain

Ok guys. . .for the last few months I have been experimenting with different ways of adding additional strength to the lower body. With trial and error, I found a program that has worked well for me and allows me to make progress each week.

Here is what I have decided:

I have reached the conclusion that if you train heavy every week, eventually your progress can become stagnate. That is the last thing that anyone wants. I have learned to cycle my training and include weak point training (much similar to WSB). Here are the specifics of my squat program:

Workout 1 - HEAVY SQUATS

This involves working up to the heaviest weights (3-5 reps) with good form. With heavy weight, there is no room for sloppiness. Here is a typical workout:

warmups: 1 set x 10 reps, 4 sets x 5 reps
building set: 1 x 3-5 reps

Workout 2 - BOX SQUATS (Hip Work) - (use a low bench or box)

Strong hips are essential when using heavy weights on the regular squat. Box squats are probably the best hip strengthener out there. When squatting down it is most important to sit as far back as possible. To place extra stress on the hips, I will relax the hips over the box and pause for 2 seconds. When coming out of the hole, you are forced to use hips. Always and I mean always remember to sit back (I constantly remind myself). The warmup procedure is identical to the heavy squat routine.

Workout 3 - SPEED SQUATS (light weights, mid-percentages, explosion)

The speed squat will assist in learning how to explode out of the hole. Even though the weights are relatively light, form must remain solid. This means, sinking down in the hole at a normal controlled pace, then exploding upwards.

10 sets of 2 reps @ 50-60 percent of (squat max)

Essentially you have a heavy, moderate, and light day. After the light day, you repeat the cycle. I have this cycle arranged for the following purpose. . .recovery. Ask yourself this question, would it make sense to perform heavy box squats one workout then the next workout perform heavy squats? No it wouldn't. . .there is a strong chance that the hips are still fatigued, which would prevent you from performing at 100 percent on the heavy day. How about a light workout before a heavy workout? Yes. . .even though you are practicing form and speed, the weights are not taxing enough to cause burnout. . .the body can recover quickly from a light workout as opposed to a heavy workout.

HOW LONG CAN THIS CYCLE LAST?

I am still working on this. . there comes a point where the body will start to adapt to new methods, unless something is changed. Lets say that you start to peak out at a certain weight. . . and gains start to stagnate. To me this means that the body is calling for a break. In this case, I think it is reasonable to pursue active rest or straight set training (3-4 light sets of 8-12 reps - nothing to failure 60-70 percent of max).

WEAK POINT TRAINING:

Ask yourself this question: What muscles are involved in the squat? If you are neglecting weak points in your training, you could be affecting your overall squat potential. Lets make a short list of muscles that are used:

Hamstrings and Buttocks
Hip Work
Spinal Erectors
Traps
Abs

There are many more muscles involved (secondary stress).

Exercises used to target weak points:

- stiff leg deadlifts, lying leg curls
- wide stance squats (weights suspended from waist over platform)
- good mornings, hyperextensions (reverse or reg)
- shrugs and rows
- oblique and crunch work

WHAT ABOUT ISOLATING MY QUADS?

Of course not everyone is a powerlifter. . including me. For me, I believe that if my poundages go up, there is an increase in muscle tissue. This is not the case for everyone. If you are concerned about throwing in some additional exercises to isolate the quads then feel free to do so. However, I would only pick 1 exercise at 2 to 3 sets tops. Here are a few options:

- leg presses
- leg extensions
- hack squats
- sissy squats
- step ups

I hope some of this information is useful. This is something that I have been following that has allowed me to make progress. I wish everyone the best of luck and if there are any questions, let me know.

Who knows. .this may give you a new idea.

I also posted this at www.chemicalmuscle.com

Nice post. What do you think of front squats? It seems to me that when I do front squats it hits my quads a little more than the back squat. What do you think?

overhead said:
Nice post. What do you think of front squats? It seems to me that when I do front squats it hits my quads a little more than the back squat. What do you think?

I think front squats are beneficial and are great for placing immense stress on the quads.

I never perform them because I can't get comfortable and nothing feels right. Basically, I have given up on them.

If you can make front squats comfortable, you should use them.

When I was trying to dump fat I use to do a power clean combined with a front squat, it about killed me, but I bet it burned a lot of calories. I am pretty comfortable with a front squat now using that style of holding the bar. If I try to place it on my shoulders and cross my arms it is a no go.

louden_swain

Do you think step ups will build muscle? Since they do not really have a negative portion to the lift...?

jims said:
louden_swain

Do you think step ups will build muscle? Since they do not really have a negative portion to the lift...?

Thats a good question. . .mostly they are used for athletic purposes. . however, if you use enough weight and reps, you can make the quads scream. I think they can promote a certain degree of growth. I rarely use them.

louden_swain said:

I think front squats are beneficial and are great for placing immense stress on the quads.

I dumped all quad work a while ago and my squat has been going up faster than ever.

I feel that if you keep the rest of the lower body strong than it will force growth in your quads when you do normal squats. It is never necessary to isolate quads.

Of course, this is from a PL view of things.

I dumped all quad work a while ago and my squat has been going up faster than ever.

I feel that if you keep the rest of the lower body strong than it will force growth in your quads when you do normal squats. It is never necessary to isolate quads.

Of course, this is from a PL view of things.QUOTE]

I definitely don't agree with this... I always did very little direct quad work and as a result I have a huge muscular imbalance between my hamstrings and my quads, mainly my VMO...
THis has totally fucked the tracking on my knee and has forced me to go through months of rehab to try to get it back to where it once was....

Your VMO is ESSENTIAL for knee tracking....

Dr.Bones, I think it depends on how you squat. If you squat very wide, PL style, then quads are of less importance both tracking and strength-wise. However, a more standard narrower stance increases the importance of having strong quads, so things like bulgarian squats and front squats need to come into play.

Top Bottom