Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

going to failure sets you up for failure?

whats everyones take on this...

its amazing to think that most good powerlifters dont go to failure too often in training. only a few sets a week if that...and how often drug free and avg gentics folks go to failure and "beyond" :) pretty much every single work and every single lift...

it really takes a lot of discipline to sometimes not do so...out of habit...

It doesn't look like the rest of my team goes untill failure, but If I do the same Reps and sets as them (well, try), It is pretty much till failure. Then again, I am just weak.

I feel it has more to do with goal. A BB's goal is to get big. When you rip the muscle fibers to oblivion and then let them heal, they heal larger eveytime you rip them. As a PL, size isn't as important as stength. So recruiting and conditioning the muscle that support a lift is essential. I don't think a PL generally AIMS for failure, but if you're lifting heavy enough, you probably will, intended or not.

Last edited:
I go to failure at most on two lifts per week. Usually only one, and often zero sets to failure. If I am doing a max effort that is truly all I have in the tank, I stop there. Sometimes I overshoot what I am capable of, or get out of the groove, but I never purposefully go to failure.

As heavy and as often as I train, going to failure all the time would be a recipe for disaster.

B.

It's true. When you train to failure, because of something called the Hebbian mechanisms, you train yourself to fail. My experience of training this way was that I gained lbm but no strength at all.

benchmonster said:
I go to failure at most on two lifts per week. Usually only one, and often zero sets to failure. If I am doing a max effort that is truly all I have in the tank, I stop there. Sometimes I overshoot what I am capable of, or get out of the groove, but I never purposefully go to failure.

As heavy and as often as I train, going to failure all the time would be a recipe for disaster.

B.

Always leave a few reps in the tank. Like you said, as often and as heavy as I train I would burn out really quickly if I was going to failure.

Now ME day....that is a different animal all together. I never plan to miss....but I am not afraid to miss either. Just not something that I want to become a habit.

There are tons of ways to stimulate the body to make it grow...tons of factors.

super sets, giant sets, stimulate time, time under tension, less rest, more rest, failure, negatives, forced negatives, etc...

Powerlifting/strength training adds a few other elements to the growth process...lots of CNS stimulation, bands, chains, boards, shirts, speed work, maximum effort work, etc...

B True

I read an article on this by someone( can't remember) and if you are refering to that article they did make great claims to backing tht statement up. If you think about it you are training your body to fail by failing on every set of every bodypart. I can't explain it very well but its like PL train there CNS and mind to deal with exceptionally heavy weight it would be like training the mind and the CNS to not be able to push those heavy weights. I don't know , i don't fail on much if anything in the gym i always leave a rep or two in the tank.

Its good to leave a rep in you most of the time but training to failure once in a while is ok but if you do it to often then it is tough to recover.

Top Bottom