Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Elbow Pain = Skullcrusher related?

AMH83

2 months ago during skullcrushers, i had this ting in my elbow.
Was a bit painful for certain movements and got to hurt on bench and other tricep routines.

Took time off to let it heal. Bench fine, tri pushdowns fine. Switched to doing dumb bell type skullcrushers(2 dumbbells together, palms facing). This is fine on elbow now, but occasionally get a small ting and pop in my elbow when I go below parallel for dips, but it doesnt really cause much pain.

Last night during tricep routine, I decided to give the normal skullcrushers with ez bar a go again with 75% of the weight.
Within 3 reps I had the same pain back in my elbow.

What exactly with skull crushers causes this and how long does it take to overcome(with 2 months of not doing it already?!). Is the movement somehow tied to dips also that I get the slight pop and ting when going below parallel? should I just disregard doing skull crushers with the ez bar and continue w/ the dumbbell version? will this hinder any mass gains?

thanks!

AMH83 said:
2 months ago during skullcrushers, i had this ting in my elbow.
Was a bit painful for certain movements and got to hurt on bench and other tricep routines.

Took time off to let it heal. Bench fine, tri pushdowns fine. Switched to doing dumb bell type skullcrushers(2 dumbbells together, palms facing). This is fine on elbow now, but occasionally get a small ting and pop in my elbow when I go below parallel for dips, but it doesnt really cause much pain.

Last night during tricep routine, I decided to give the normal skullcrushers with ez bar a go again with 75% of the weight.
Within 3 reps I had the same pain back in my elbow.

What exactly with skull crushers causes this and how long does it take to overcome(with 2 months of not doing it already?!). Is the movement somehow tied to dips also that I get the slight pop and ting when going below parallel? should I just disregard doing skull crushers with the ez bar and continue w/ the dumbbell version? will this hinder any mass gains?

thanks!

I injured my elbow the same way over 5 years ago lol. Doing skull crushers of course. So after that I don’t really do when any more. I get that same pain a tingly in my right elbow.

I have been recently unimpressed with my bench press. When the weight gets heavy I feel that pain very much. This is slowing down my progress. I don’t know if it was because I use to play baseball of what.....

I was told it may be tennis elbow but unless a Doctor tells me I won't really know what problem I have... Before I injured my elbow I crushed 45 on each side with the ez bar. Now 25 on each side with pain lol.

Have a DOCTOR look at it quick for me it's to late.....

skull crushers with a bar are pretty much the worst thing you can do for your elbows. i made the switch years ago to using db's and it is much more effective and doesnt put anywhere near the same stress on the joint

Well then, I guess I'll continue the DB routine.

Was just wondering what part of it exactly aggrevated it. I like the "why"s behind everything :)

with any form of scullcrusher, the elbows really are not in a great position.
"strict" skullcrushers can actualy be far more stressfull on the joint too.
but personaly im a fan of BP lockouts or close grip bench press for tri's
good luck with the pain, hope it works out

I believe usually the exercise is called "skull crushers" only when you use dumbells and "french press" when you use a bar? Anyways, I've used both and I like them both. I uasually start off with the french press, heavy weights - 6 reps, then I superset with skull crushers - medium weights for 8 reps

I've pretty much stopped doing skull crushers as well as it was also inflaming my elbow joint.

Prefer tricep pushdowns (with a robe for better RoM, get that twist at the bottom of the pull, love it) myself or pressing movements.

Barbell Skull crushers are very dangerous w out proper warm-up, even the wrists are at biomechanical disadvantage, when you get to the point where you touch the forehead and just a slight twitch on your wrists will let you know (even when u feel u can do more) that you might have compromised the entire set and your elbows health. My guess is that you probably damaged the cartilago and that's what's doing all the popping. The dumbell version is much much safer and even if you fail you can get out of the situation much easily by transforming it into a press move. Anyway i would let go those for now and when you feel better just shoot for 10reps.

I love curlbar skullcrushers! For me nothing pumps the belly of the tris like them. The problem with them is the angle (past 90 deg) is sometimes too severe for the tendons. If you still want to do them, try doing your pushdowns first but make sure your first pushdown set is atleast 20 to 25 reps for a good warm up. When you get to the crushers try bringing the bar to the top of your head or actually touch the bench and let your elbows flair out a little.

if you want to continue with bb skull crushers, drop the weight considerably and up the time under tension considerably. its a clear cut bbing exercise this way. with alot of weight and stress on the joints, the form is usually compromised and injuries result.

slow the movement down to 3 second eccentric and concentric, dont lock out at the top. keep your elbows back so your hands are past the top of your head. this will keep the stress continually on the tris. i usually work with 60 pounds to maybe 100, but 90% of the time i keep the weight very light and really slow the movement down. my elbows have been fine. i had the same injuries as listed above when i was going heavy. now, never.

Top Bottom