Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is a compound only workout effective enough?

funckygarcon

first of all, i'm new here. my name is Ahmed, i'm 20 years old and I'm an Egyptian guy whose goal is to build muscle and strength. now, i've wasted about 6 months doing isolation movements and i wasn't seeing much of results except maybe in my biceps and chest, but that's it. i did a lot of research about workout types and read a debate between compound movements and isolation. Compound absolutely smoked the competition and after a long time of heavy research for a routine to do. i learned that the 6 basic compound movements are:-
-Squats
-Deadlifts
-Bench Presses
-Pull Ups
-Bent-Over Rows
-Military presses.
so i decided to split those 6 into a 2 day schedule, like A and B and alternate A and B and then A again in a 3 days fashion.
but this is where i got stuck! i couldn't split the movements and didn't know which exercises go together. so, to put it short: how do i split the basic 6 exercises into 2 days, each day 3 exercises?
my second question is: will doing this 6 only, be effective? are 3 exercises a day enough? thank you for replying

i would say 80% of your workout needs to be compound. you can do isolation but compound needs to be put first.

if you notice the skinny kids with their 25 pound dumbells in front of the mirror doing curls, they go nowhere. so watch what is working, watch what the true gym rats do. you are only 20 so you need to be creative and try different things. be open minded

read below in my signature my thread about push/pull/legs.. you will like that

i would say 80% of your workout needs to be compound. you can do isolation but compound needs to be put first.

if you notice the skinny kids with their 25 pound dumbells in front of the mirror doing curls, they go nowhere. so watch what is working, watch what the true gym rats do. you are only 20 so you need to be creative and try different things. be open minded

read below in my signature my thread about push/pull/legs.. you will like that

^^Totally agree always start with a nice heavy compound move and finish with a couple of isolation i like to hit the 4 -8 rep range for that strenght :)

isolation exercise are a must if you're a bodybuilder, BUT i do not recommend too much isolation for beginners compound are better, I myself always start with heavy compound, then move to isolation exercise, for each muscle group i do 2-3 very heavy weights then 2 exercise with higher reps which are mostly isolation..
For a newb like you just do 100% compound till you get strong enough then move on to isolation for building your physique.

thank you guys for replying. however i already know that i should stick to compound movements. i just needed answers for my questions. still waiting :)

first of all, i'm new here. my name is Ahmed, i'm 20 years old and I'm an Egyptian guy whose goal is to build muscle and strength. now, i've wasted about 6 months doing isolation movements and i wasn't seeing much of results except maybe in my biceps and chest, but that's it. i did a lot of research about workout types and read a debate between compound movements and isolation. Compound absolutely smoked the competition and after a long time of heavy research for a routine to do. i learned that the 6 basic compound movements are:-
-Squats
-Deadlifts
-Bench Presses
-Pull Ups
-Bent-Over Rows
-Military presses.
so i decided to split those 6 into a 2 day schedule, like A and B and alternate A and B and then A again in a 3 days fashion.
but this is where i got stuck! i couldn't split the movements and didn't know which exercises go together. so, to put it short: how do i split the basic 6 exercises into 2 days, each day 3 exercises?
my second question is: will doing this 6 only, be effective? are 3 exercises a day enough? thank you for replying

Id do like mon:squat/deadlift/row wednesday:bench/millitary/weighted dips friday:squat/deadlift/pullups

I wouldn't forget to add heavy goodmornings, great for adding serious stabilty and strength to the hips. Excellent for those having trouble finishing the squat and nice accompaniment to the deadlift. Once developed watch ur numbers go up.

someone once advised me to do this:-
day one (Pulling day)
Chin-up or Pull up/Barbell Bent-over Row/Barbell Deadlift (3x8)

day two (pushing day)
Barbell Squat/Barbell Military Press/Barbell Bench Press (3x8)

does it sound right?

Understand going from 6 months of isolation to full out size satisfying movements need plenty of food,sleep, humility.

Do not sacrifice technique trying to lift the world, be humble. An injury will only set u back.

With the proper plan progression is inevitable and results will come.

Push/pull/leg split is one of my favorites.

Remember, when people start talking overtraining, combination of undereating and improper rest are to blame.

Top Bottom