Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

siamesedream said:
Alright, I finished figuring out where I should start on all of the exercises as of next Monday, but I still got a few questions for you, madcow.

1. I do resistance cardio with recumbent bikes and would like to do them every day, would this interfere with recovery from the squats and deadlifts?

Obviously any activity is going to bear on workload. Generally cardio is fine as long as it isn't rediculous or a major increase above what you can currently accomodate. To be honest, I really feel the best cardio work is done in some type of interval method, whether timed or distanced. If you look at endurance athletes they don't train to pound out a distance at a single intensity every day - the result of which is a relatively slow but consistent finisher. I'd really recommend not doing constant pace over a long distance or for a long time period. Do some reading on HIIT - high intensity interval training. Also keep in mind that high intensities like short maximal sprinting are taxing on the CNS and can also be anaerobic in nature. I wouldn't recommend a high volume of high intensity cardio on a daily basis. Just stuff to keep in mind and research as you put together a balanced program that fits your conditioning, needs, goals.

siamesedream said:
2. I weigh 217 pounds and have a bad BMI. One of the consequences of that is that I can't do more than 1 dip. Is there a possible substitute exercise for this and, if not, what should I do? Close-grip benching? Decline benching?

I'll leave it up to you. Maybe there's a machine variant at your gym - not as good but dips aren't an integral breaking point in the program. If you are doing any version of benches I'd keep in on the moderate side and not overtax the movement.

siamesedream said:
3. How long can this novice program last? I'm absolutely loving it right now as I'm using more power in my workouts than ever before. The reason I ask is, I have a friend who's been working out for quite some time and he benches 600 pounds and is only a college sophomore. I asked him what his routine is and, apparently, he's using the same single-factor 5x5 routine that I'm starting officially next Monday.

To be honest, it always amazes me when people want to swap out of this program after a month or two and are having great gains. My feeling is that if you can make linear progress you should hammer it as long as you can, it's not like anyone but a fairly experienced lifter is going to get excess gains from periodization and anyone not at that level may end up sacrificing gains just due to complexity. My feeling is that you hammer it as long as you can. When you plateau, you cut back a bit for a few weeks and then hammer at it again (just restart a bit lighter). Another alternative is a sort of psuedo-periodization where you cut the volume and lower the reps, still increasing the weight, and then jump back to the full version after a period of lower volume helps you recovery (it's periodization but you just aren't being ultra regimented or strict with it - tends to work pretty damn well for a lot of people). If you make consistent progress why change what is working - I certainly wouldn't.

Re: Powershrug question

Madcow2 said:
The strict powershrug has a very small range of motion and doesn't load the lower back too heavily. When people want to substitute a dynamic pulling variation into the 5x5 generally they are doing it from a lower position, increasing ROM, and turning it into more of a heavy clean pull from the traditional hang position (just above knees). This is more fatiguing but it's not like you can add even the regular powershrug with no consequences, it's still a damn heavy movement, it just doesn't pound the lower back as badly or fatigue the CNS to near the same extent as deads for an experienced lifter.

thanks for the response! i know im getting a little off topic here, but i guess rack pulls would be in the same boat as powershrugs in terms of fatigueing the lower back/CNS?

Re: Powershrug question

lavi said:
thanks for the response! i know im getting a little off topic here, but i guess rack pulls would be in the same boat as powershrugs in terms of fatigueing the lower back/CNS?
Depends on range of motion, weight used, and where a lifter is weak (i.e. if he's weak at lockout and the top portion relative to his strength from the floor).

Programming training is a combination of art and science and has to be tailored to the trainee who, through the very nature of his training, is constantly changing and evolving.

Tom Treutlein said:
I typically get half a gallon of milk in a day. A little more, actually - nine glasses. The only issue I had with this was the bloating it tended to cause, albeit slight. I found a way to remedy that, though. 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar before each of my shakes!

http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?showtopic=15295&pid=239924&st=90&#entry239924

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=12;t=1063
my comment was for the 5X5 routine, had nothing to do with your post bro....dont give me red when you dont even know what your talking about...Fuck Off. keep drinking milk and raising your estrogen, actually next time warm it up...

Hahaha C&C fags. :FRlol: Really, milk raises estrogen? Bring forth the peer-reviewed evidence! Wait, what's that? You have none? :FRlol: Just shut your fucking mouth, you fucking moron.

Tom Treutlein said:
Hahaha C&C fags. :FRlol: Really, milk raises estrogen? Bring forth the peer-reviewed evidence! Wait, what's that? You have none? :FRlol: Just shut your fucking mouth, you fucking moron.

you will be bombed everyday for 30 days.

watch it happen.

patsfan1379 said:
you will be bombed everyday for 30 days.

watch it happen.

Pats, I know you're mad at Tom, but that is not constructive either. Madcow's worked very hard to make this a helpful thread. It'd be a real shame to see it ruined by a flame war.

plus, it'll get locked.
tom, this isn't the first time you've incited some problem around here....

Top Bottom