Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

bench 300 pounds

herkul

My the best bench is 300 pounds,but my grip is very wide.I wondering
if i should be do with closer grip,maybe i could to make progress.
thanks.

Last edited:
when i moved to a closer grip, more like PL, i didnt lose anything, but my shoulders take a lot less punishment

I agree with d3. A closer grip proves less harmful to the shoulders. It also seems to utilize the triceps more, so I would think it would lead to a bigger bench.

Don't quote me on that, though.

It will, but what is the purpose of benching with a close-grip? It incorporates too much of your triceps and your pecs dont get worked nearly enough, albeit a wide-grip can be taxing on your shoulders.

Bench goes up when the rest of your muscles are ready for it, i.e. hit tris and shoulders hard and your bench will move up.

He's a powerlifter, from what I remember him saying in another thread. Therefore, putting up bigger numbers and keeping his shoulders 100% would be ideal. I'd say use a grip inside the power rings. Anywhere inside them is probably fine, but if you feel your shoulders bothering you, stop and move to a closer grip.

I bench with a fairly wide grip (middle finger on the rings) and I don't have any shoulder troubles. A few years ago I benched with a narrower grip and my shoulders hurt when I benched. I've made a couple other form changes (arch, tucking shoulders, 'sitting' the weight on my lats) that have contributed to my lack of shoulder pain... I don't think grip width is the main culprit.

With that said, if you want to move more weight I would keep a wide grip. Make sure you hammer your pecs, lats, and upper back to help your strength off the bottom. The lockout will be slightly easier at the top with a wider grip and slightly less ROM, but close grip bench presses and board presses are great to throw in to help your triceps strength.

Top Bottom