Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

ALL HAIL Needsize Crunches!!!

The valsalva maneuver (filling the diaphragm with air and holding) won't stabilize the core as much as people thing. Simply contracting the abdominal wall during movement, while proceeding to breathe normally, works better.

Anthrax Invasion said:
The valsalva maneuver (filling the diaphragm with air and holding) won't stabilize the core as much as people thing. Simply contracting the abdominal wall during movement, while proceeding to breathe normally, works better.

I thought I was contracting the abdominal wall while doing the static holds already? And it was dam near impossable to take a breath while doing that.

Nah-uh, not usually. The TVA contracts, and the wall may do a degree, but if you consciously flex the abdominals during any movement, it makes it more difficult (that is, when it's a core movement). For squats, deadlifts, and OHP, you really should be breathing normally.

Everything I've seen has shown the abdominal "brace", as McGill calls it, to be better for protecting the lower back (the prime focus of either technique), as well as avoiding any risk of hemorrhaging. Yes, the blood pressure rising may not be an issue for most, but it's something to think about. Plus, I feel better flexing the abs (no pushing out or sucking in - people do it all wrong. A simple flex is fine) while breathing steadily for my sets.

They teach useful breathing technique in yoga. When you meditate, you breathing becomes shallow and your able to maintain the proper core structure AI was talking about. All you have to do is totally concentrate on how much you really like doing these NS crunches, and breathing shouldn't be a problem. :)

Top Bottom