Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What's the difference between a board press and pin press?

gretak911

I know that with the board press you use different layers of 2x8"s (or whatever) and with pin presses you press the bar up from resting on the pins. Don't these exercises do essentially the same thing? They both focus on the end (lockout) portion of the movement. Are they interchangable or am I missing something?

Well, I see your point, but Louie says that the board presses actually distribute the weight over your chest, like in a real bench, so you "feel" the weight like in a real bench, which is one of the main neuromuscular blockers in dealing with bigger weights. Whereas pin presses focus on the lockout as the pressure is more on the arms. So board presses are slightly better for your 1rm exercise, whereas pin presses are often used for spurts as your ME movement, and also as an accessory exercise.

pin presses are dead weight lifts, concentric lockouts from varying heights. board presses allow for the stretch reflex, you still lower to the boards, allow the weight to "sink in" and press.

Top Bottom