Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Something i read...

Sebass67

I read an article in Muscle Media where Paval Psatsouline states that before you go for a max you just unrack a weight that is 10 to 30% heavier and hold it for 5-10 seconds without doing the weight rack it, put the max you are going for on there and than wait 3-5 mins for your nervous system to adjust and than nail it.

What do you think? Has anyone ever tried this?

we do that sometimes but not before a max--we put super heavy weights on (example jimmie dean the other day did this :hes benching 470 area right now so he put on over 500lbs and held it as long as he could then racked it) to do a max set after i would think you just used too much strength i would do max set the next week--ive never seen anyone do a max set after a hold

i know i'd rather be deadlifting has done them with both bench and squat, and both with success. I've done it for squat(walkouts) and it helped there so im sure it would help for bench.

YEA it's called a static barbell hold. There's a post on here of guys who do this. I personally do and before I knew what it was called I thought I was an idiot but it fools your CNS system to believe when you get under your real max attempt that it's really lighter than what you expected. Only do it when your goin for a max don't do it all the time or else you'll screw yourself out of what your used to doin.

Bad idea. If this was a sure thing...you would see people taking extremely heavy openers in pling contests. They would just take their opener at an extreme weight and miss...to help them with their next lift. Well..ok..that is an extreme.

Conserve as much energy that you can on your warm ups when you are going for a 1rm. Make large jumps with reps in the 1-3 rep range.

B True

well when I lifted up in ST PETE I did this but not like I normally do. I went ahead and about I believe it was 10 minutes before my opener I loaded 275 on the bar and held it for a good 5 seconds. in fact I remember tellin jimmydean(the best and strongest spot around) that it felt light and I felt I could've benched it.

Actually Jimmie Dean almost benched 500 , and static held 585lbs.

I think they work some but i handle lots in my board presses , and my raw still feels kinda heavy. BUt if you do them , you need to do them often. Everyonce in while is like doing accesory everyonce in while. You make they weight feel light. Not sometimes but all the time.

Well...as I would relate it to strongman...I would not go over to the heaviest atlas stone and use it for a good rep just before I did all the others for competition. Not even for a partial...or just a cradle.

In Martial Arts...I used to perform with my bo staff in tournaments and used a heavy and thick staff to warm up with and about 3 minutes before I was up...I grabbed my light and thinner one to help to increase speed. I wasn't going for a maximum weight attempt though.

I just don't know any 1,000 lb squatters who warm up by doing a partial, walk out, or static hold with a super heavy weight on contest day. In training...sure...but on contest day...don't think that it is something that I would do. I am not a powerlifter though...not at all.

B True

Top Bottom