Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I need help designing a program for my son

hockeynut_9922

Ok first off, not anabolics. I am looking for a good program to add some weight to him.

He is 6'7" 180 pounds, 16 years old,almost 17, and a basketball player. He has a 6 pack and would like to keep it, but he definately needs some meat on his bones.

I just got him a membership at my gym so he will be lifting regulary. I have him eating more food. Kids tend to eat junk so I have cleaned that up.

I was thinking having him do my routine: Monday Legs, Tuesday chest, Thursday Back, Friday Arms. He will stay with his ab work out and we will supplement with some basketball specific work.

Any suggestions on the supps? I was going to do a weight gainer and maybe some creatine. When would be the besttime to take the weight gainer? A whey protein shake after the work out for sure, just dont know the best time for the weight gainer.

Anybody with experience with the young guys let me what will be best for him.

Gary

Well im young, 17. I started when i was 16 or around there... Substitute that arm day with something more important.. like shoulders. Have him stick to compound lifts. Weight gainer is fine i guess but he needs to be eating whole foods... I don't think its needed tho.

have him run the 3 day split in my signature.. its fun and it won't burn him out so fast.

have him lift 6X per week for the next 2 years if he is serious. this is what i did and i built an amazing base at that age.. its paid off as an adult.

you threw me off with the bball comment though.. if he wants to play bball he should focus on doing that and not so much lifting. bball players are not exactly muscular guys for the most part. there are exceptions of course but generally they need to be agile and be able to jump. think a bodybuilder can jump carrying all that mass on their frame? hell no.

i am only 5 6 and believe it or not i used to be able to dunk a small bball with 1 hand, now i can barely jump 6 feet high lol

And food. Really research the bulking diets in the forums. Getting him off the junk food is a good start, but putting together a diet that will build muscle is another big step.

He definately needs some meat on the bones. 180 at 6'7" is pretty easy to push around on the court. He can dunk easily, however he needs to be able to stand his ground or throw his weight around a little better.

He is all arms and legs, really he has not stopped growing yet, just slowing down a little bit. He probably has another 2 inches to go.

With the way he has been eating, I dont think it will take much once he starts getting the right foods and calories.

I wish I still had his metabolism. Eat anything and everything and not gain an ounce.

Thanks for the work out split, I will check it out.

Gary

have him run the 3 day split in my signature.. its fun and it won't burn him out so fast.

have him lift 6X per week for the next 2 years if he is serious. this is what i did and i built an amazing base at that age.. its paid off as an adult.

you threw me off with the bball comment though.. if he wants to play bball he should focus on doing that and not so much lifting. bball players are not exactly muscular guys for the most part. there are exceptions of course but generally they need to be agile and be able to jump. think a bodybuilder can jump carrying all that mass on their frame? hell no.

i am only 5 6 and believe it or not i used to be able to dunk a small bball with 1 hand, now i can barely jump 6 feet high lol

^^^ sounds to me like he needs to hit the legs and build a strong trunk... they won't be able to push him around so easy if he can stand his ground and built a strong ass, hammy's and quads.. squats, deads, cleans.. a lot of young dudes ignore the legs because lets face it, it can be an unpleasant workout.. and they love standing in front of the mirror with dumbells and watching themselves.. but ya gotta convince him to work the legs

thats why the 3 day split is a good option. he will have to dedicate an entire day just for legs. and no skipping leg days either..

Im the opposite steve.. I love legs while doing the workout and especially after!

^^^ just did a strong leg day today. the squat rack at my gym is always open. and it always seems like the dumbell section is packed. go figure.

people are obsessed with only doing upper body

I know where your coming from.. I NEVER have needed to wait for a open squat rack.. sometimes leg press but thats all.. To many kids my age just do upperbody and they ask me what my secret is.. I tell them compound lifts and they just stick to there machines and wonder why they stay the same

Top Bottom