Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how much do steroids increase strength?

Imnotdutch said:

Kinda interesting that such a simple formula works for you. I would have thought that with such high reps stamina was the issue rather than all out strength.

For whats its worth, the formula I use is given below......it starts to fail at higher reps but works well at lower reps.

1 rep max = 1 + (n x 0.03) x weight

As far as your AAS question goes, I see no physiological reason that would justify your theory that more AAS automatically gives more strength. From what you are saying about your increased weight I would suggest that the extra strength is coming from improved leverages due to the extra weight. In which case you just need to find a way to hold onto the extra weight. Of course I could be way off base on this.

I don't know about that forumula. I'll try it. If you're interested, see what you can do for 20 reps and see how it will be right at or close to 60 percent of your max. This formula has been in use for quite some time. 10 reps = 80 percent of max. 5=90. Beyond 30, I wouldn't know. As for the added weight causing my strength gain. That can't be the reason because I've been just as heavy, drug free. I've lost more fat and gained a little muscle. Not as much as I would like though.

Your AAS issue has SO many variables. History of use, receptor down-regulation, your body's ability to supress conversion, etc...there is no answer. More is not always better. For example, if it increases your blood pressure drastically, and you can't exert without light headedness, ringing ears, and imbalance...well, that doesn't sound optimal to me. You also have to be more specific than "AAS." Obviously, some AAS are going to be more androgenic than others. I think I answered your question the best I could when I suggested changing your training and outlook.

Last edited:
biteme said:

I don't know about that forumula. I'll try it. If you're interested, see what you can do for 20 reps and see how it will be right at or close to 60 percent of your max. This formula has been in use for quite some time. 10 reps = 80 percent of max. 5=90. Beyond 30, I wouldn't know. As for the added weight causing my strength gain. That can't be the reason because I've been just as heavy, drug free. I've lost more fat and gained a little muscle. Not as much as I would like though.
This formula, while it may work for you, will not work for everyone. No one formula will work for everyone. And I'm willing to bet that sometime your formula will cease to work for you.

holy crap, by that formula i should be able to bench 250lbs 30 times, yeah friggin right, its hard enough for me to do high reps anyways(not strentgth related, i just lose count) i bet i could do 50% of my max for 10-12 reps. ive got to admit that i have a deep seeded hatred for any formula that attempts to guess your max. my feeling is just get on the bench and see what you can do.

reps=:mad: for me

Same here. I learned the hard way that no one around here REALLY cares what you lift unless it's logged with some federation. Good thing I low-balled my numbers. LOL

Liftbig said:
holy crap, by that formula i should be able to bench 250lbs 30 times, yeah friggin right, its hard enough for me to do high reps anyways(not strentgth related, i just lose count) i bet i could do 50% of my max for 10-12 reps. ive got to admit that i have a deep seeded hatred for any formula that attempts to guess your max. my feeling is just get on the bench and see what you can do.

reps=:mad: for me

PREACH ON BROTHA.....

"lose count"....same hear...anything over about 5

:lmao:

spatts said:
Your AAS issue has SO many variables. History of use, receptor down-regulation, your body's ability to supress conversion, etc...there is no answer. More is not always better. For example, if it increases your blood pressure drastically, and you can't exert without light headedness, ringing ears, and imbalance...well, that doesn't sound optimal to me. You also have to be more specific than "AAS." Obviously, some AAS are going to be more androgenic than others. I think I answered your question the best I could when I suggested changing your training and outlook.

From what I've read, receptor down-regulation is a myth. Especially when it comes to testosterone. I appreciate your attempt to answer the AAS question. Not to be sarcastic, but I don't care if anyone cares how much I can lift. I just wanted advice on how to get stronger. On those points I appreciate what tips were given. Now watch some smart ass chime in with if you didn't care if anyone cares how much you can lift then why did you post your #'s. There are a lot of assholes on these boards I've noticed. I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far but if you don't care, I don't care that you don't care.

:lmao: We don't bite.

Receptor down-regulation isn't a myth. It's a physiological process. If you take the terminology off Elite and into the classroom, you will find that it's just an explanation for a receptor getting used to a particular neurotransmitter, and decreasing response as a result. It decreases the density or number of receptors...not a new fangled thing. :)

spatts said:
:lmao: We don't bite.

Receptor down-regulation isn't a myth. It's a physiological process. If you take the terminology off Elite and into the classroom, you will find that it's just an explanation for a receptor getting used to a particular neurotransmitter, and decreasing response as a result. It decreases the density or number of receptors...not a new fangled thing. :)

This is a topic that has been discussed alot on the various boards. If I remember correctly, there have been problems showing conclusively that down regulation does actually happen. It makes sense that it would.......but proving it beyond reasonable doubt has been difficult. Thats science for ya I guess :).

This is worth a read:

http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/haycock/androgen-receptors-02.htm

Kinda makes the point that this process is still considered hypothetical at least as far as AAS go.

Last edited:
biteme said:
From what I've read, receptor down-regulation is a myth. Especially when it comes to testosterone. I appreciate your attempt to answer the AAS question. Not to be sarcastic, but I don't care if anyone cares how much I can lift. I just wanted advice on how to get stronger. On those points I appreciate what tips were given. Now watch some smart ass chime in with if you didn't care if anyone cares how much you can lift then why did you post your #'s. There are a lot of assholes on these boards I've noticed. I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far but if you don't care, I don't care that you don't care.

Biteme, I think that you'l find that this and several other powerlifting boards have an unwritten code of conduct. The vast majority are very helpful and easy going.

Top Bottom