Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

WS assistance work

T

t3c

I'm sorta confused...maybe I am not getting something here

but I am under the impression that WS is for 100% strength

While checking out the sample workout on elitefts.com I noticed the assistance work was 3x15, 3x10 ect. Wouldn't it make more sense to use higher weight at 3x5 or even 3x3 for maximal strength?

When you do, for example, tricep extensions, as accessory work to bench, you aren't looking to develop the ability to do THAT move at max effort. You do your best to build that muscle so that it supports the bench. If you want to do a tricep extension competition, go for your max. :)

Westside training focuses on only one thing when it's all said and done. That one thing is increasing your TOTAL. Lifting as much weight as you can in the Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift. Many aspects of Westside training can be adapted for more sport specific training but the bottom line with the Westside program is upping your total.

this is an interesting post and it raises a good point.

Are all the exercises that do not mimic or simulate the movement you are trying to do superfluous???

let's consider the bench press. i have asked myself a bunch of times whether or not pressdowns, dumbell extensions, jm presses and other motions which do not mimic the bench movement are really valuable in raising the bench.

A case for saying that these are a waste of time:

i have a friend and ex-training partner who used to be a horrible bencher (around 500 forever) raise his bench press over 100lbs by doing nothing but bench press movements. in fact, he got rid of everything that wasnt like a bench press. he trains exclusively with board presses, shirted presses, flat bench presses, bands, and chains now. he has thrown out all other stuff i mentioned before.

another example is gary frank. according to him, he just trains heavy, period... doesn't do any of this other crap. his bench moved over 200 lbs in 3 years of this style of training.

cases for saying these are not a waste of time:

every 500+ bencher at westside (and there are a lot of them).

i do not really have any exclusive proof either way. i wish i had a test candidate to train 8 - 10 weeks without this assistance work and see how much his bench progresses.

Another reason I personally will continue to do supplemental exercises:

since my pec-tear, i am still unable to hammer bench press activities twice a week regularly. due to soreness, i am forced to skip days every once in awhile. in addition, i have developed some shoulder weakness that only supplementary exercises can help out. this has led me to believe that these ancillary exercises can serve to prevent injury from underdevelopment of certain areas. in addition, they can rehab areas weakened by many years of one style of training or injury.

just my ramblings..

/irish

good point, but personally, I belive you must do these accessory excercises since you need to shock the muscles and hit them from different angles (diff excersices), and this is a great way to do that! You can do diff forms of benching but you can do MUCH more variations with accessory's. They also strengthen the muscle in a diff way or form from those movements.. Just my .02 ;)

IrishPower: NOT speaking from experience or studies....
but i think there is a time in a young wo/mans life where they must bench heavy with out much assistance work.

maybe it gets them used to handling heavy full range motion lifts.

I know westside works because i train that way and it has worked for me. But i think i need to do some heavy full range bench press soon

Irish,

You may be on to something. But as many have observed, there are many ways to get strong. I personally just tried benching and squatting and gradually increasing the weight every week, and went nowhere for a very long time. Since taking up westside and building up the muscles that actually perform the lifts, and doing the conjugate training method, my lifts, especially my bench, has gone through the roof.

Now I would have never thought it was possible for me to do a 500 bench one year ago. I was convinced I just did not have the raw materials for it. I know for a fact, now, that is simply untrue. At this point I see no reason at all why I will not be at a 600 bench in a year. If I had just benched, though, I am pretty sure my "genetic potential" would have peaked out in the low 400's to upper 300's.

Maybe just like different plants need different conditions to grow, (soil content, water, etc.) different lifters need different stimuli to gain in size and strength. Some of the things I do which work very well for me (like shirt/board presses) may not work so well for others. Some things which others love, (like floor pressing) don't do much for me.

As I have said in the past, different strokes for different folks. If I could bench big by just benching, I would do it. It does not work for me, and I hit my knees every morning, and thank the powerlifting gods that I have discovered something that does work for me. To me the conjugate method gives back what you put into it. If I work hard, I get results. Before I discovered this method, I worked my ass off for very little return.

B.

Top Bottom