Will there be an 800 pound bencher this year??

Posted: 24-Feb-2002 08:58 PM

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about Will there be an 800 pound bencher this year?? within the Strongman & Power Lifting category.

Excerpt: 800 pound bench press! Some thought it would happen at the Arnold. The world record is 780. Will we see one happen this year? 10 months to go, some big benchers will be pressing for the promised land of an 800 pound bench! Is it possible? Is it possible in 2002?? Gimme your opinions!!...

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Will there be an 800 pound bencher this year??

Members

[Register!]

View Poll Results: Will there be an 800 pound competition bench press in 2002??
Yes there will be an 800 lb bench in 2002 3 33.33%
No there wont be an 800 lb bench in 2002 1 11.11%
There will be an 800 lb bench but not in 2002 5 55.56%
No there will never be an 800 lb bench 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools

Smile Will there be an 800 pound bencher this year??

Old 24-Feb-2002, 08:58 PM   #1
United States
800 pound bench press! Some thought it would happen at the Arnold. The world record is 780. Will we see one happen this year? 10 months to go, some big benchers will be pressing for the promised land of an 800 pound bench! Is it possible? Is it possible in 2002?? Gimme your opinions!!
Gallery of CytoMel  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post! Share on Facebook!Twit this!GoogleBookmarks!Reddit! StumbleUpon!SocialBookmarking!

Old 24-Feb-2002, 09:05 PM   #2

I wonder how much is theoretically possible, without any drug use?? 800 will definitely happen, probably not this year tho. I wouldn't be surprised however.

I'm sure, that, on a severe adrenaline rush many people could press 1000 tho.

-Zulu
Gallery of ZZuluZ  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post! Share on Facebook!Twit this!GoogleBookmarks!Reddit! StumbleUpon!SocialBookmarking!

Old 24-Feb-2002, 10:34 PM   #3

I voted that there will be an 800 this year but the way the big benchers are dropping at the Arnold (so I've heard anyway), we may not have anymore 700's this year (only joking...I hope).

You will definitely see a 1100 lb. squat and an 800 lb. bench before you will ever see a 1000 lb. deadlift.
Gallery of TheFng  

Old 25-Feb-2002, 08:06 AM   #4

Not this year anyway. The guys that i thought were capable are hurt.
Gallery of powerlifterjay  

Re: Will there be an 800 pound bencher this year??

Old 25-Feb-2002, 02:15 PM   #5
SouthPawSE

Originally posted by CytoMel
800 pound bench press! Some thought it would happen at the Arnold. The world record is 780. Will we see one happen this year? 10 months to go, some big benchers will be pressing for the promised land of an 800 pound bench! Is it possible? Is it possible in 2002?? Gimme your opinions!!
At the 97' Arnold I thought Anthony Clarck pressed 800. Am I wrong???

Old 25-Feb-2002, 02:39 PM   #6

It was redlighted, I believe.

He didn't lockout properly.

-Zulu
Gallery of ZZuluZ  

Old 25-Feb-2002, 03:50 PM   #7

Herb Glossbrener gives AC credit for an 800 press in his top 100 benches list or list of 700 plus benches, I can't remember which. But aside from him, I don't think too many people are crediting Anthony Clark with the 800. I don't know exactly why not having seen the video, but from what I read and hear, the lift was not a good lift.

I don't know if it is the reverse grip, or what it is, but although Anthony Clark was hands down the man when I was in high school, for some reason lately he does not seem to be getting much respect. Like I said, I don't understand it, cause he is a strong strong fella.

B
Gallery of brianmincher  

Nope

Old 25-Feb-2002, 05:41 PM   #8

Won't happen this year. With Fusner and Halbert hurt and JM bombing out I don't think it will happen.
Gallery of bigokie  

Old 26-Feb-2002, 09:35 AM   #9
United States
right now I'm more worried about 300!!! I don't know if I will ever get there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Gallery of Grantsdu  

Old 28-Feb-2002, 02:06 PM   #10

I dont think so. I had hope in both Jamie Harris (torn pec) and Clay Brandenburg (torn shoulder). With both of them out I dont see 800 in 2002. Although, as eaqsy as Scot Mendelson got 755 (after 722 and 744) he would be my pick if there were to be someone. George Halbert is also out for a while with a pec "tweak" of some kind. He probably had a 770 in him. My $.02
Gallery of BodybuildingUniverse  
Lifetime Supporter of EliteFitness.com!
Click here to upgrade for Unrestricted Search, Live Chat, Full Size Pics, Private Boards, 5000 PM's, and more...