Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Speed squats with bigokie

benchmonster

OUCH!!!!

Just got home from a tough workout with bigokie. We did speed squats with green bands. bigokie has told me in the past that he squats outside the rack. I thought that meant that he put the j-hooks on the outside of the front posts rather than inside where the catch pins are. I was sorely mistaken, and saw the second most amazing thing I saw all night, I will get to the first most amazing thing later.

bigokie had the j-hooks set up before I got to the gym. He had them set up where I could get the bar out. Now I thought we might have some problems because bigokie is 10 inches taller than I am. He asked if the hooks needed to be lowered, and I assured him they were fine, but asked him how he was going to get to the bar. He said it was fine, and then showed me what he meant.

This rack was a heavy duty rack made out of 4 by 4 steel. The ground supports extend out the front of the rack for at least 2 feet, and we had the hooks out front as well, with dumbells to anchor the bands. Well, when bigokie said he squatted outside the rack, he meant that he set up with his feet outside of the 4X4 bases!!! Imagine squatting with your feet wider than a monolift will allow. This was how wide his squat stance was. I was amazed.

We worked up, and I did 315 plus bands for a few sets, then switched to 365 plus greens for a few sets, then took a couple of singles. Did 405, and it was real easy, so I decided to go for 500, which I did not think about at the time, but would tie my M.E. pr on a box of that height. Well, I got stuck on the box. Hips just gave out. Then the coolest thing happened. bigokie gave me a boost, and I was able to stand up and rack the bar, then bigokie started looking at me funny, and said something to the effect of "Well, I have never seen that before"

I turned and looked at the mirror, and saw a stream of blood coming from my hairline down to my eyebrow! I had strained to the point that blood was coming out of my head. It was so cool. I really feel like I have strained much harder at other periods and this has never happened before.

After this we did some deadlifts, then did 4 sets of 10 glute ham raises, then abs and went and ate. I want to thank bigokie, and say that if you guys happen to be in Stillwater, OK, for any reason, you can find a great gym called the Rockhouse. All in all, a very good evening, and we got to see something we had not seen before.

B.

congratulations on your hemorrhage!

everyone has a magic number before there body spontaneously erupts blood.

it used to be 700 for me on the squats before i blew vessels in my eyes.

strangely, i haven't experienced that lately :(

/irish

Yeah I must say that I have started to squat real wide. I'm trying to strengthen my hips. I'm not real good yet as I still have been unable to locate some Chucks to squat in. So my feet have a tendency to roll over to the outside. I will say that Benchmonster kicked my ass. I could only go up to 225 with the green, and then couldn't double it. I think just because weak hips. I've taken not quite 500 off a high box, I think it was 475. Bench went up to 365 with a green and then started to do singles without the band. He went up to 495 and needed some help to get off the box. This was after all the speed squats so I imagine the poor guy was beat up. I know I was. Anybody got any ideas on strengthening up my hips? I did finally find something that I could keep up with Benchmonster on, deadlifts. WOOHOO!

It was a good workout and then we went to eat.

By the way, Irish, I think that's a great idea. I hope to be able to contribute something to it. Don't know what that might be.

i think one of the coolest things for your hips are situps in a power cage with you legs spread-eagled and locked down under a bar (depending on the cage, you may need your partner to hold them down). you will feel them intensely, especially if you heave some weight up as well.

hard to picture. i will get a video up next time we do these.

/irish

Damn, I missed all of the fun. What's up with bleeding from the head? That's some crazy shit!

It sounds like you guys had a really good workout. But, now for the really important stuff. Where did you guys eat and did you drink beer? Just kidding!

What was the height of the box you used to squat?

The bleeding from the forhead thing was cool. That was a first. We ate at Quizno's and then bigokie had to go to work, so no beers.

RE: Box height, I don't know exactly, but I am guessing about 12 inches, or 13. bigokie got off to the side and looked while I was on it, and I was at parallel, so it was a passable depth, and I am pretty sure it was pretty close to 12 to 13 inches. Sadly I don't have much experience in measuring things 12 to 13 inches long. I can eyeball 6.5 inches like a champ tho.

B.

Top Bottom