Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

OK Squatting in meets

Cubanito17

OK guys I know almost everyone has a problem when they squat without a box and knowing where parallel is for them, especially in a meet.

Now this might sound DUMB to some but why can't you just have a box that is parallel for you and squat on it IN a meet. Like instead of squatting at your depth squat off the box. I stil don't understand why the feds don't allow it. It'll be much easier I mean if you can use a shirt or a suit why not the BOX. ??????

Stay on the box until the meet -- you will be fine and you will not have a problem. This past weekend my partners and I lifted in ameet -- everyone was fine and did not have a problem squatting w/o box.

If they allowed people to squat off a box, it would not be long before someone put springs or fast moving hydraulics inside of it to give them an extra boost out of the hole.

I never had a problem breaking parallel in a meet.

Down is the easy part.

Well I don't even squat off a box since I havn't had time to make one. i squat off of 4 20kg bumper weights it's exactly parallel for me I think 1/2 inch lower. BUT the thing is when I go ahead and try to do a set without them I CAN'T I go above parallel thinkin i'm at parallel or I go down to far and lose my groove.

Well you might have to find a simple sweet spot, when you hit your sweet spot your already know that your at parallel. ex: my first time in the squat suit I would get a pinch at the bottom with my belt and I was parallel, so from that point on I had to feel for that pinch. now sat. my sweetspot was from when I was out of breath, as soon as I was parallel I was out of breath and i knew it was time to stand up.

But, maybe you shouldnt squat with a box if your having trouble breaking parallel. Cause depth is a big part in the meet and it plays a big role on why some people bomb out. so if I were you I would get rid of the box squat without before you start to rely on it too much, and have your brother or a friend tell you when your parallel so you can get a feel of it. and make sure you show them how far down you need to go so they know.

FREAK thanks for the help but the thing with relying on someone to tell me when I'm parallel didn't work for me once when I tried that, b/c i'm waiting for the call like "GO" and then I wait to long to react and shoot up. I guess I'll just have to find my sweet spot or if I know exactly how fast I am, count.

IF you stay on the box until the meet, trust me -- you will be fine. Everyone I have worked with sucked when we took the box away in the gym, but at the meet -- they were all fine. Hell, I had one guy who couldn't squat 550 in the gym w/o a box, we took him to the meet and he hit 623 and missed with 661(came up fine, but brainfarted). Remember, you are not the first one to box squat who had this fear.

OK I DON'T GET IT NOW. I have one guy telling me squat without a box and one telling me to squat with a box ALL the way up to a meet.

Guys lets take a poll here now. Who thinks I should squat up to meet on box?????

Or just throw the box out and get used to parallel??????

Not really a poll b/c I dunno how to do that not that great with computers.

Check this out -- neither of us is right, because we are not the ones who have to do it -- you do. I fyou believe you will have a problem in the meet, then you will -- see my point. It's your total -- you have to do what works for you, not me, not freak, or anyone else.

1dawgs got a point. He trains with the box up to the meet. pljay stops using the box a couple weeks out before the meet. and i dont squat with a box. try not squatting with a box and see how it goes. see if you can hit parallel cause if your not comfortable squatting without the box what should that tell you?
That tells me you need to start squatting without it to get the hang of it not being there.

Top Bottom