Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New program idea, please critique

Cubanito17

OK Guys I've tried trianing many different ways including 100% westside but I found that it really didn't work for me Speed bench anyway. I stil lift 80% westside, and of course the rule of everything in plane of bench.

Here's my new idea for a program which i'll try for 6 weeks and see how I like it, UNLESS someone on here knows it WON'T work good for me.

Mon(bench extra) go straight too 6X8 of either one; Tate press, DB elbow outs, etc
6X8 of a type of row; t-bar rowing, lat pulldowns, upright rows, DB rows, Seated rowing, etc.
3X10 front raises
3X6 shrugs(I like my big traps)
Ab pulldowns

Tue(ME legs) up to single GM or Straight legged deadlifts some type of ME movement
4X8 leg curls
3X8 front squats
4X8 hyper ext(not a rev hyper)
Weighted sit ups

Thur(ME BENCH) up to single ME movement 2,3,4 board press, rack lockouts, incline close grip,etc
3X8 tri workout
5X6 type of row
3X10 side/rear delts
leg raises

Fri(DE legs) DE squats 60-70% 4 week diff
4X8 leg ext
3X8 calf raises
4X8 hyper ext
spread eagles(abs)

Now I need some help with extra workouts for my leg days. I have hardly any equipment for legs I just have a squat rack, bar, weights, a leg curl machine which is also a leg ext machine, and a hyper machine which is suppose to be for abs and I use it for lower back by laying flat on my stomache. What else can I do for extra legs????

And how do the bench days look if i'm only really benching once a week????

The reason for me doing this is b/c lately after my bench workout I already fell TOO TIRED and I don't feel like doing the extra's and that's NOT GOOD.

Please guys I need help especially from those BIG BENCHERS out there.

bump

hey this is a bump for Cubanito; i am also thinkin' of ditching speed day and would like to see opinions of experienced lifters on his idea.

Yea guys would someone please help a brother out. I guess I'm not the only one that's wondering bout this.

If I get no reply's by monday I'll just have to go with trial and error.

Keep your shirt on, I am just now seeing this. Let me see, (scrolling to read your post) . . . Alright, here goes.

I am not crazy about your idea of dropping speed bench. What do you mean by saying it does not work? I sometimes will substitute a day of raw benching ala PowerlifterJay for speed work, but I am more and more getting back to speed work on Wednesdays (I have my bench days switched).

With your bench where it is, you shoud be using about 135 for speed work. I bet my next paycheck you are going heavier than that, aren't you?

As far as the accessories are concerned, in my opinion, you are doing too much of it. You are doing more accessory work than I am, and I have been doing this 10 years longer than you, bench over 500, and am assisted, and I still could not recover from all that accessory work, if I went heavy.

I would drop the rows to 4 sets of 10 to 12. No more than that. If you are speed benching, and doing M.E. work, then I would very rarely do front raises. They are not necessary if you are benching twice per week.

Move the shrugs to leg day. Maybe do some seated dumbell powercleans for shoulders, not much else should be necessary for direct shoulder work. Do some very light dumbells or band work for rotators. Other than what I just mentioned, I think the bench part of the program looks very sound.

Considering what you have to work with, the squat program looks good. You might try some pullthroughs as an accessory for variety. Also lunges and one legged squats are good to do on occasion for variety. But overall, the squat program looks pretty good.

Not a bad program at all. A vast improvement over the stuff you were posting when you first got here. You have come far, grasshopper.

B.

OK bench it seems like when i did speed work it felt weird and i was trying to do it soo fast i'd get outta my groove. How would i be using 135 if I'm a 295lb bencher and the westside rule is if going raw like I am use 60%. And about the doing ALOT of extra's for back it's b/c the guys on here a while ago pointed out that was my weak spot so I figured i'd really tax it so I can make it stronger. I like the shrugs Idea i'll try that but ever since i started leaving all my upper body work on mon and thur i've felt that it's growing more b/c it has more time to relax. And about the other stuff for legs thanx I thought lunges woulda been kinda BB that's why I didn't mention them but I'm gonna do trial and error with pause squats 3X5 probably like 60% of my best pause squat. And thanks for the compliment it means alot and i know i've learned alot just not sure how to use all my knowledge yet.

Screwball dude I'm lost, explain.

i think he meant that you gotta be quick in order to do it, and if you don't train for speed, you won't have it. but i dunno

Damn, I'm getting old. My previous "snatch the pebble" post referred to Benchmonster's post where he called you young "Grasshopper". Both are elluding to the 70's TV series "Kung Fu" with David Caradine (sp?). Grasshopper was the student at a Shaolin Temple and his master asked him to snatch a pebble from his hand. Once he could snatch the pebble from his master's hand then his training was complete and he was a bad-ass ninja ass-kicker. The mother-fuckin' part was my addition.

But, I like lilmikey's explanation better so let's just go with it.

hey cubanito, I feel ya regarding the speed bench....I did not feel it worked that much either, although it was a while back when i last tried it... but I do a similar routine like your planning on doing so here it is.......

On one day (thurs) i do raw bench(last week was doing sets of 5, this week went down to 3) for like 4-5 sets. Then on the other bench day (Sun) I hit some mostly tricep excercises, almost like a ME bench... close grip incline, decline, 2-4 boards, floors, etc. and work to a max 2-3. Then do acces triceps like 3 sets of 5 jm press then some db presses....then maybe some light shoulder raises like 2 sets of 12... then ONE set of one-type of rows for 3 sets of 6-8! Honestly I think your doing WTF too much Rowing on this day!!! Its good to do some, but keep it about 1-2 sets max! Do the rest of your rows on one of your leg days....

And as far as your leg day, what I would do after your main ME sets, is hit the front squats for 3-4 sets of 6-8, then str8 to hypers, then maybe some pullthroughs, then abs. I would do the leg ext's on your DE SQ day instead!!

Good Luck

:fro:

thanks vtec for the reply. About the 4-5 sets of 3 how does that not tax ur CNS system soo much I'm wondering?? So that means you only raw bench once a week or do you stil do a ME movement???? And about the leg thing I'll switch them up. Forgot to say since my coach caught some kid doing bicep curls on our low pulley he took it outta the weight room. The thing kept breaking dunno why so he was tired of fixing it. He's trying to get all these lil fags that go in there and lift just for their biceps and chest.

About the rows one thing wouldn't that be too much like too close together that means I'll be rowing light on monday some more tuesday maybe a lil heavier and then thursday light again and friday row again. I don't think that'll work if I do them on leg days. Plus a while back when I tried them on leg days I got flamed for doing it since it's part of the bench i should do them on bench days. But thanks for trying to help I see I have to cut down on them a little bit.

Top Bottom