Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

just completed 3 week crazy band cycle

IrishPower

I am pretty new to the bands. I have been training off and on with them for 14 weeks or so, learning some things here and there.

I just finished a 3 week mini-cycle, during which I hit what I consider my best lifts yet.

Let me state that I just learned the way to really get a LOT of band tension. I used a real double wrap. This means that I did NOT loop it through the bottom. We actually folded the bands in half and pulled up both sides onto the bar.

To give you an idea of the tension, with no weight on the bar, it was still bending. And this is a 55lb Texas Squat bar. It is crazy.

Week 1: double purple speed then a 715 free squat (no bands and no wraps)
Week 2: double green speed then a 375/1 (w/bands)
Week 3: double green speed then a 415/1 (w/bands)

I can just say that I felt that by the third week, I had gained a new level of explosiveness. Every week my back felt lit up from holding the bar on my back. It was a great experience.

Here is a video clip from the 3rd week:

http://www.growordie.com/training/videos/real_double_green.wmv

My plans are to do something I have a very hard time doing... taking a week off from squatting then follow up with 3 more workouts before the meet.

Train hard!
/irish

Irish, we also often fold the bands double and then around the bar. We've got a 110lb plate on each side to keep the bands down but when we double the bands the plates actually lift off the floor and hang in mid-air and we need to add another plate on top to keep it anchored to the floor.

I totally agree that this is really befeficial stuff. I'm not nearly in your league but last week I was able to squat 640lb raw (belt only) for the first time ever and it went so easy that a 660lb would most probably have gone up too. This was after a couple of weeks of very heavy doubled bands. Hell, my PR after my comeback three years ago is only 700lb with full suit so things are really looking good for our upcoming IPF nationals.

An added benefit of this is that, because the tension is so high, even with an empty bar, the bands tend to want to pull the bar all over the show and you've gotta really work to stabilizers to keep it steady.

That was amazing!!! Great work. I have been considering doubling the greens for some bench work. Doubled greens for squatting is truly insane.

You are thick as a brick shithouse, by the way. And everytime I see one of your vids, I am just a bit more jealous of your setup. Powerlifting Xanadu up in the great northwest.

B.

great job... that is crazy though. . . i may be doing a short circa max phase in the near future... probably 4 weeks w/ building up band tension, and then a 2 week deload. Any suggestions for which bands to use, and how to loop them. ( best squat is 315 full gear)

Watching the video again...and again...and again. Do you have those bands set up like you would when you use the mini's on the flat bench press? Divide the band in 1/2 and put both ends on the bar and the 1/2 way mark under the rack?

I just can't see it in the video...

B True

benchmonster:

thanks bro. yeah, i love my setup. only problem is i'm the only one of the crew who wants to compete. my one training partner is great (i dont think he has ever missed a workout) but it sucks when I am the only one going through the pain of getting ready for the meet.

move out to washington and you can train with us!

deciever: i don't know how to do the circa-max stuff. after this meet is over, i may ask dave tate for a detailed consult. what i have found is working for me is doing bands for 2 - 3 weeks, taking some time off or switching to raw weight or chains and then back on after a week or so.

i can only offer ONE recommedation when using bands. whatever bands you do, make sure your speed stays fast even if you have NO weight on the bar. my training partner (who is a 600+ squatter) had to use JUST 25s on the bar to keep with that band tension. Don't let your ego make you slow.

Big Arnie: you are competing in IPF nationals? Are you going to squat ultra-wide? Can you satisfy their depth requirements with that stance?

B-Fold:

yes... set up just like the mini bands on bench. after meet gonna try blues doubled up! might have to use only 135 of raw weight but it should be intense. awesome pics bro!

/irish

im prepared to use low weight.. i usually use between 115-135, and i've used 95 lbs when i had minis and lights choked tight . So i dont mind usingonly 25's or less..

i think i may try something like this.

week 1- 115 w/ lights and mini's
week 2- 115 w/ lights and mini's choked
week 3- 95 w lights choked and mini's doubled
week 4- 95 (maybe less) with lights and mini's doubled.
week 5 - 105 w/ lights and mini's choked
week 6 - 115 w/ light bands

Nice squatting, IrishPower! It appears that the "Washington Crew" always trains hard with perfect form. Your vid clips are always very motivational for me. Keep posting them as often as you can.

3 weeks of bands, especially at the increased tension, would break me down. I try to cycle bands, reverse bands and chains or straight weight from workout to workout. I don't consider chains to be much more damaging than straight weight.

One more thing for those that are using bands. A little weight on the bar really helps stabilize the barbell. Straight bands on an empty barbell will have you all over the place.

Top Bottom